Generate a transaction id - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Generate a transaction id

azdonaldazdonald Posts: 31Member
Hi please i would like to generate a transaction id for my application something like TR1234 and i want it to be serially. The application is a server/client application. How do i go about it???

Comments

• seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 684Member ✭✭✭
    Serially? As in you would like the number to be a series?

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but from my experience, Transaction IDs have some form of "smart number" capabilities, and usually involve a structure.

For instance, a number like 063-554-4958582 could mean: 063 is a store location, 554 is the money type for the transaction, 4958582 is the transaction # for this year (the first transaction being xxx-xxx-0000001)

In this case, I would first identify all information I want to get from my conf-number, I would then create a smart number system for each part of the transaction ID, (00A = Monday, 4R = UTAH, 001 = JANUARY) these sorts of things...

Next I would identify a place to keep a running total of the transactions and store additional information about them (whatever I needed for my scenario).

Each section of the transaction ID should be a separate field in the TRANSACTION_ID table, and they should be all combined into one line in the TransID Field of any table refering to that information

Hope this helps,
    Sean
  • azdonaldazdonald Posts: 31Member
    Well i thought of selecting the last inserted transaction id and probably add one to it when the form loads but its a client/server app running on several machines so i figured it wont be a bad idea cos it will over work the server creating unnecessary connections and so on.
    Your idea seems ok but i dont really have a criteria for the transid. i just want a bunch of unique numbers.
  • seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 684Member ✭✭✭
    If you are looking for a unique identifier, a field that can declare a record in a database unique, you can try using a GUID.

Globally Unique ID - GUID

GUIDs are 36 characters long (32 numbers 4 dashes I think), and can be stored in nvarchar fields or in Unique Identifier fields in the database. If you are using SQL Server you can create a field, and set it to UniqueIdentifier, then in the properties set "isRowGuid" to True and it will automatically generate a GUID for that row when a record is added.

You can generate GUIDs with Vb.Net as well:
    [code]
    Dim MyGuid As String = Guid.NewGuid.ToString()
    'OR
    Dim MySecondGuid As Guid = Guid.NewGuid()
    [/code]

hope this helps,
    Sean C