Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Pascal....about array....

Aggyness_90Aggyness_90 Posts: 5Member
hi again.....I have a question about array in Pascal....
I wanted to know whenever I wanna use an array should I always know what exactly the lenght is??? I mean:

Var
a:array[1..[b]n[/b]] of integer;
I wanna write 'n' instead of writing a number (e.g: 10 or 345 or else...) cause I want to find the lenght during the program...cause it may became different by different datas each time when I run the program....so I don't wanna write a number as a lenght for my array....but I have a compiler problem in runing my program
the error is:(cannot evaluate this expression)...so what should I do then??

Comments

• AtexAtex Posts: 268Member
    Turbo Pascal doesn't support dynamic arrays, so you must set your array to the expected maximum size and have a variable to keep count the actual size:[code][color=Blue]var a:array [1..500] of byte; { <-- reserved 500 bytes of memory }
    counter:byte; { <-- a variable to keep count the actual array size}[/color][/code]Of course your code have to be written accordingly[code][color=Blue]counter:=5; { <-- set array size to 5}
    for i:=1 to counter do
    a[i]:=0; { <-- fill array with 0's }

counter:=40; { <-- increase array size to 40 }
    for i:=1 to counter do... {} [/color][/code]
    On the other hand if you're using Free Pascal you can have dynamic arrays by switching the compiler to Delphi mode: [b]{$mode delphi}[/b][code][color=Blue]type dynamic_array:array of byte;

var a:dynamic_array;

setlenght(a,500); { <-- reserve 500 bytes of memory }[/color][/code]Note that all dynamic array indexing are zero based, so valid indexes will be in range [0..499]. To create multidimensional arrays:[code][color=Blue]type dynamic_array_2d:array of array of byte;

var b:dynamic_array_2d;

setlength(b,5,5); {<-- same as: b:array[0..4,0..4] of byte; }[/color][/code]It is also possible to resize or copy dynamic arrays using the [b]copy[/b] procedure the same way as for strings...