Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Calling fwrite?

anessenanessen Member Posts: 2
Hey all, I'm a bit new to Assembly language.

What I'm trying to do is to write an integer value to a COM port on Windows. The way I think I can do this is by using the fwrite function supplied with C, and having a pointer to an integer that I use with that function. I got this working in C just fine, now I need to get it to work in Assembly. (I don't know if this is the best way to do this)

So far I have this (in Visual Studio 2008):
[code]
int myint = 12000;
int *myintptr = &myint;
//...blah blah, portptr is declared and set up too (i know this works)
__asm {
mov eax, DWORD PTR(portptr)
push eax
push 1
push 4
mov ecx, DWORD PTR(myintptr)
push ecx
call DWORD PTR(fwrite) ;it breaks on this line
add esp, 10h
}
[/code]

That general method for calling functions works fine for fgetc, fputc, fopen etc... but not for fwrite unless I've done something wrong there.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Josh CodeJosh Code Member Posts: 675
    One obvious problem is that no FILE* parameter is being passed.

The prototype for fwrite is:

size_t fwrite ( const void * ptr, size_t size, size_t count, FILE * stream );

The parameter types used are fine except for the last one which is an int * instead of a FILE *. While it assembles fine even though it'll cause runtime problems because the assembler doesn't check data types as extensively as a c or c++ compiler.

How do you know it isn't working? When you run it, does it give a segmentation fault or memory access violation message?

This shouldn't require any inline assembly. See [link=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810467.aspx]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810467.aspx[/link]

• anessenanessen Member Posts: 2
    OK well portptr is a FILE * and it has been opened up successfully at this point. So what's going on the stack is this:

portptr (initialised file pointer)
    myintptr (initialised integer pointer)

This should be in the right order for the function call.

What happens when it breaks during debugging is this:
    [code]
    Unhandled exception at 0x7c90100b in Transmitter.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xcccccd00.[/code]