Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Access 2007 & VB 2008

PsyborgPsyborg Posts: 5Member
I have a real problem here. I am connecting to an access 2007 database (accdb) via an OLEDB connection, and I have no idea why this code isn't working!
[code]Imports System.Data.OleDb
Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(...)
Dim dbCon As OleDbConnection
Dim dbCmd As OleDbCommand
Dim dbRead As OleDbDataReader

dbCon = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:My.accdb;Persist Security Info=False;")
dbCon.Open()

dbCmd = New OleDbCommand("SELECT * FROM CITY", dbCon)
dbRead = dbCmd.ExecuteReader
Do While dbRead.Read
MsgBox(dbRead(1))
Loop
End Sub
End Class
[/code]
The result is the program crashes with no errors. I tried it in a different form/project and it launches the forum without any messages. So, in short, I'm getting no error messages and I don't know why. It will not go past dbCon.Open(). Please help!

Comments

• seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 684Member ✭✭✭
    If the program is crashing, it has to be throwing an exception...

to get the error message try this:

[code]
    Private Sub Form1_Load(...)
    Dim dbCon As OleDbConnection
    Dim dbCmd As OleDbCommand
    Dim dbRead As OleDbDataReader
    try
    dbCon = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:My.accdb;Persist Security Info=False;")
    dbCon.Open()
    catch ex as exception
    msgBox(ex.Message, vbOkOnly, "Error During dbCon.Open()")
    return
    End Try

dbCmd = New OleDbCommand("SELECT * FROM CITY", dbCon)
    dbRead = dbCmd.ExecuteReader
    Do While dbRead.Read
    MsgBox(dbRead(1))
    Loop
    End Sub

[/code]

My gut feeling is that this is a connection string issue
    try this:
    [code]
    Dim DBName as String = "c:path_of_dbdbname.dbext"
    Dim ConString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & DBName & ";User ID=Admin;Password="

dbCon = New OleDbConnection(ConString)
    [/code]
  • PsyborgPsyborg Posts: 5Member
    Thanks! I tested everything out, and it still didn't work. I was looking around, and I realized that it's because first, I'm using the compiler in x64 so it can't find the provider, and second that I was using the code in the form load event, so it wouldn't throw errors.
  • seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 684Member ✭✭✭
    Did you find a solution?

If not, you might find a more proper connection string (that has a provider that you can see on your x64 box) here: http://www.connectionstrings.com/

I go there a lot when I am writing con-strings for DB's I don't normally work with.

Good Luck!
    Sean Campbell - firesickle.com
  • PsyborgPsyborg Posts: 5Member
    Yeah, thanks. I changed the compiler to target x86 machines, and moved the code to a button event. Thanks for the help!