Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

newbie questions ^_^!!!!!!!!!!!!11

andrestanderandrestander Posts: 1Member
1. After I written in a public class, can I access the methods in my class without having to declare an instance of it?

Like for ex.

public class lol()
{

Public void asdf()
{

}

}

If I do lol.asdf(); from the Form_Load method will it work?

2. When declaring an instance of a class, why do we have to write it in a weird way?

System.IO.StreamReader streamrdr = New StreamReader(filepath)

Why it cant be just

System.IO.StreamReader(filepath) As New streamrdr

3. I was good with Vb 6.0 long time ago, and I think calling windows API with vb 6.0 MUCH easier since there was a little tool that came with vb 6.0 studio that had all of windows API and their functions listed.

Question, is theres anything similar to that in C#?

4. Last question :P
Is theres a certain method or class in C# that allows me to write and retrieve records easily from a file? Because vb 6.0 did that and I was able to write a simple phonebook application that stored the date in a textfile.

I really hope I ever find an answer to my question and thanks in advance =]

Comments

• karthik_hr123karthik_hr123 Posts: 14Member
    Hi,

I feel you are a newbie to C# programming/kind of C# syntax. Well, i've got few answers for your questions:
    Even if you declare a class as public, you can't access its methods/attributes without declaring an instance of it unless you made the attribute/method as 'static'. For instance,
    public class Lol()
    {
    public static void Asdf()
    {

}
    }

you can access the method by Lol.Asdf();

2. well its not a weird way! its very meaningful!
    See:
    System.IO.StreamReader streamrdr = New StreamReader(filepath);
    this declares streamrdr as a variable of the type 'System.IO.StreamReader'; and allocates memory/instantiates it ,by calling its constructor by passing necessary parameter.
    Its just like you declare a variable:
    ;
    then allocating memory for it! Thats all!

3. I think you are talking about 'Object Browser' window. Visual Studio has an integrated option to see the API docs; accessible via View menu (View -> Object Browser).

4. I'm not sure about this; as I haven't worked with files much. I this if you remember the class name you used in VB 6, it might be there in C# also. Just find it out in MSDN.