Getting Started - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Getting Started

Alright. I'm wanting (vaery badly) to get into the game programming business, but I know only a little C++ (We're talking no graphics in C++, just playing with variables and writing to and from files, and so on) and a bit more Visual Basic. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a CANADIAN college/university/tech school that has an exceptional program for programming (or, if possible, game programming).

BTW, mods: I posted this HERE because this was the closest topic I could think of.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Monion

Comments

• Now that DigiPen has moved to the states, the only option I can recommend is obtaining a degree in computer science at any university. I know University of Ottawa had a good CS program... but that was 8 years ago... I wouldn't know about other unis, but I'm sure they're all just as good. You won't learn to make games in CS though. You'll just acquire the basic knowledge required to learn to make games. A diploma or degree will give you the necessary education required to land a junior programming position. Both canadian and american employers in this industry don't care about which uni you attended. It's all about proving yourself and showing what you can do, regardless of education.

: Alright. I'm wanting (vaery badly) to get into the game programming business, but I know only a little C++ (We're talking no graphics in C++, just playing with variables and writing to and from files, and so on) and a bit more Visual Basic. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a CANADIAN college/university/tech school that has an exceptional program for programming (or, if possible, game programming).

:

: BTW, mods: I posted this HERE because this was the closest topic I could think of.

:

: Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

: Monion

:

:

:

• Ack. Just as I feared. Oh well. I suppose if I really wanted to get into Digipen (which I already checked out and they're only accepting American students :( ) I could move to the states. Oh, well. I guess I'm stuck with DeVry or Sheridan. Thanks for the help, though!

• I'm pretty sure DigiPen accepts international students. It would cost you a lot more than if you were american, but the last time I checked, they accepted canadians. Maybe it's changed since then...

: Ack. Just as I feared. Oh well. I suppose if I really wanted to get into Digipen (which I already checked out and they're only accepting American students :( ) I could move to the states. Oh, well. I guess I'm stuck with DeVry or Sheridan. Thanks for the help, though!

: