Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

DirectX and Transparency

I was just wondering if there's a way in DirectDraw to blit a surface rectangle (like a menu window) to another surface (like the backbuffer) and have it partially transparent (without using DirectMedia). I don't mean colorkeying but alpha blending (I think that's what I mean).

Comments

• k....what u need to do is use a function called GetLockedArray, this handles transperency....but i've never used it myself, try asking people about this function...might jog their memories :-)

• : I was just wondering if there's a way in DirectDraw to blit a surface rectangle (like a menu window) to another surface (like the backbuffer) and have it partially transparent (without using DirectMedia). I don't mean colorkeying but alpha blending (I think that's what I mean).

You mean, change all image pixel's "alpha" value, for a transparent effect? They say, DX 6+ versions have support for that. More than likely, it's in the DDBLTFX structure. If you're drawing images manually -- without Blt -- I think there's a way to do it by mixing pixels values with their designation -- like with an Airbrush. As an alternative, menus can be minimized so they don't cover much of the screen.