DirectX and Transparency - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

DirectX and Transparency

I was just wondering if there's a way in DirectDraw to blit a surface rectangle (like a menu window) to another surface (like the backbuffer) and have it partially transparent (without using DirectMedia). I don't mean colorkeying but alpha blending (I think that's what I mean).

Comments

• k....what u need to do is use a function called GetLockedArray, this handles transperency....but i've never used it myself, try asking people about this function...might jog their memories :-)

• : I was just wondering if there's a way in DirectDraw to blit a surface rectangle (like a menu window) to another surface (like the backbuffer) and have it partially transparent (without using DirectMedia). I don't mean colorkeying but alpha blending (I think that's what I mean).

You mean, change all image pixel's "alpha" value, for a transparent effect? They say, DX 6+ versions have support for that. More than likely, it's in the DDBLTFX structure. If you're drawing images manually -- without Blt -- I think there's a way to do it by mixing pixels values with their designation -- like with an Airbrush. As an alternative, menus can be minimized so they don't cover much of the screen.