Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Decompilers (don't worry, its emulation related)

I was wondering if you have any here. I tried using 'search', but all I got back was 'how to defeat VB decompilers!' which really doesn't help:P

What I need it for, anyway, is to be able to open up some ROMs for my emulators so I can translate out the Jap text as well as I can and distribute them so people can get a better experience.

Here's an example. I have the ROM of a SNES game called DBZ SuperBoten2 (Super Battle History). Of course, the whole program is in Japanese, but knowing how the story goes, and with a launguage translator, I can fix it up some.

Any help here? E-mail me or just reply to this, if you will please.

Manae

Comments

• All you need is a good HexEditor to change the text in the binary files....

Disassemble the binaries back to sourcecode is not an option because that is hard hard work and I have tried doing that to some Megadrive games

and it s alot of work to get all the pointers and structures right to allow you to modify the code...

/WEBMASTER

: I was wondering if you have any here. I tried using 'search', but all I got back was 'how to defeat VB decompilers!' which really doesn't help:P

:

: What I need it for, anyway, is to be able to open up some ROMs for my emulators so I can translate out the Jap text as well as I can and distribute them so people can get a better experience.

:

: Here's an example. I have the ROM of a SNES game called DBZ SuperBoten2 (Super Battle History). Of course, the whole program is in Japanese, but knowing how the story goes, and with a launguage translator, I can fix it up some.

:

: Any help here? E-mail me or just reply to this, if you will please.

:

: Manae

:

• WEBMASTER's right. You do need a good hex editor, but you also need a good tile editor too, and a relative searcher. I used to do a lot of rom hacking myself, but I got bored of it, but here's a quick overview of what you do. Download Thingy( a hex editor, with table file support ), NAGA/TilED or another ROM sprite editor, and relative searcher from www.zophar.net. You build or download a table file for your rom, load your rom and table file in thingy, and change the text to your rom. Before all that you have to replace the japanese characters with english ones using NAGA or TilED( or whatever sprite editor you're using ). Once you've translated your ROM you download snestool and create a patch for other people to download.

PS Check out Zophar.net for Translating and ROM hacking tutorials, they really help :).

C' Ya.

URL:www.zophar.net