Function Not Returning Value - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Function Not Returning Value

DRockDRock Posts: 1Member
This may be more appropriate in the Ajax forum, but I don't think it's actually a problem with my Ajax implementation. I have trying to make my Ajax implementation a little more streamlined by creating a function to send an Ajax request. I have had no problems with Ajax requests before I tried doing this. Below is the code I am using that calls my sendRequest function:

[code]function miles()
{
var response = sendRequest("miles.php", "POST", "name="+escape(getCookie('User')));

//alert(response);

if (response.substring(0,4) == "FAIL")
alert("TEST");
else
showMiles(response);
} [/code]

The script generates an error because response is not defined. Here is the sendRequest function:

[code]function sendRequest(url, method, parameters)
{
var request = createRequest();
request.open(method, url, true);
request.onreadystatechange = function() {
if (request.readyState == 4)
{
if (request.status == 200)
return request.responseText;
else
return "FAIL" + request.status;
}
};
if (method == "POST")
request.setRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
request.send(parameters);
} [/code]

Like I said, I don't think this is a problem with createRequest since I use it everywhere else on my site (www.ymsrunning.com) without any problems. I have used Firebug to step through it and the responseText exists when I get to the function return. I have been pulling my hair out on this one (and I don't have much to spare) and would really appreciate if someone could help me with this. Thanks.