Trying to learn, please help - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Trying to learn, please help

Garrett85Garrett85 Posts: 168Member
I just got a book on MySQL and I have some question

First off, when I enter the commands that I'M getting from the book, commands like "SHOW DATABASES;", "USE database;", etc, it says something about a syntax error.

Also, why do books like this just jump start you into commands? I would think they would want you to load a database into MySQL so you would have something to work with. Or maybe walk you through creating a new database and working with it. Thanks for any and all help.

Comments

• CarlCioffiCarlCioffi Posts: 1Member
    The commands you are using are correct so I must assume you have some other issue. Are you using the query browser in MySQL Administrator? If not, I suggest you open the administrator then click on catalogs and see if you actually have any databases there. Also, you should download the workbench, it will help with database creation.