Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

AVR or ARM microcontroller for starting

navnishnavnish Posts: 2Member
hello,
i have a fine knowledge about 8051 and fine grip on assembly language.
now what should i start AVR or ARM microcontroller for further knowledge in embedded.
regards
navnish kumar

Comments

• raedbenzraedbenz Posts: 1Member
    HI,,

As long you as know how to program embedded systems, then go for ARM. because AVR will be almost the same as 8051. I did like that ,i started with 8051 then moved to 32 bit ARM.
    But everything depends on what you want to develop at the end.
    You might find AVR easier to be adopted to your application.

i.e. Go for ARM
  • allskylineallskyline Posts: 6Member
    hi,
    you should realize that the concept of Embedded is very general, it refers to many aspects. I think you should study different knowledge according to your choose.
    1. If you want to do something related hardware and drive development, I have some advise to you :
    1) you should study C well. Though some time we use assembly language, C is main and used mostly.
    2) you at least be familiar with a microcontroller, whatever a AVR MCU, or a ARM MCU. You should know it's basic principle and function, such as interrupt mode, clock management, power management etc.
    3) know some general devices' Operating mode and protocal, such SPI, USB, DMA, SDCard, etc. It's useful to develop application later, in different MCU, these devices' hardware maybe different, but there are similar principle and protocal.
    4) then you can study some things about RTOS, such as ucos, freertos, etc. It's useful to design some multitask and real-time projects.

2. But if you want to develop embedded application base on embedded OS, you can:
    1) study something about bootloader, it will help you to understand the startup of the system.
    2) choose a embedded OS to start, linux or WinCE, this depends on youself. But no matter which OS, you have to spend a lot of time to study.
    3) you'd better to know how to build a OS, and develop driver base on a OS.

[link=http://www.coocox.org]a free and open RTOS[/link]
  • kennyfly899kennyfly899 Posts: 1Member
    To start with ARM microcontrollers you'd better get some evaluation tools, such as development board, JTAG Debugger,flash programmer, embedded IDE, etc. There is a website which covers the these tools for your reference: http://www.embedinfo.com/en
  • alim2201alim2201 Posts: 2Member
    can you help me how to reverse arm frimware
    and
    how undrstand arm assembly
    how to write arm assembly code and debug it in windows xp
    which program can do it