How to speed up my computer? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How to speed up my computer?

Hello,

I am Thomas from Fair Haven, NJ. From last few days my desktop PC is working very slowly. What I have to do to speed up my PC? Basic configuration is as below.

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.5 GHz Processor
Ram: 2GB
HD: 350 GB
Mother Board: Giga Byte

I am using Office2007 in my PC. I have enable firewall. Can I disable it? If so, then how to protect my pc from virus attack?

Comments

• anthrax11anthrax11 Posts: 511Member
    Open Task Manager and see what uses a lot of memory and CPU resources. If it's something you don't recognize, then try to remove it. Check your page file usage too. If it's close to 2GB, then you might need to get an extra gigabyte of memory.

Practically any firewall other than the Windows firewall makes the computer quite laggy. Avira has seemed to be the least laggiest to me. Norton was awful, though. The biggest threat to a computer is the one between the screen and the chair. If you can keep yourself from downloading random programs from random sites, then you'll most likely be fine without any firewall/AV.
  • franksthomas77franksthomas77 Posts: 8Member
    Thanks for your support. As you said in your post I am go through it. I am back if I have any other issue. I hope you don't mine.
    As per your suggestions my PC speed is little increase but can you please let me know how to check malware and spyware in my PC?
    Please suggest me the name of virus, malware and spyware removal product?
  • anthrax11anthrax11 Posts: 511Member
    This post has been deleted.
  • catscy_09catscy_09 Posts: 2Member
    Slow computer?
    -> PC optimization... i know a group of guys who can perform this for you... check their site... Supportrix.com
  • rosscbergrosscberg Posts: 10Member
    do disk clean up and Defragmenter regularly. keep minimum icon on desktop.
  • rosscbergrosscberg Posts: 10Member
  • DennisTForceDennisTForce Posts: 2Member
    Was there anything you installed (hardware or software) before your computer became slow? That might be the clue. If you don't have a clue, try increasing the page file as already suggested and if you're using Vista you could use a flash drive for ReadyBoost. And maybe upgrade your RAM. Also, a great anti-virus program I can recommend that uses only few memory is Prevx.