Wing IDE - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wing IDE

Garrett85Garrett85 Posts: 168Member
I'M trying to learn Python and as you might expect, I start with "Hello World". But I can't get anything to happen. How do I execute and view the end result of my code?

• anthrax11anthrax11 Posts: 511Member
    You should give a bit more information, it's hard to say what the problem is.

Firstly, you obviously need to make sure you have [link=]Python[/link] installed. If you do, then python programs should run with a double-click.

Then check the syntax, Python 2.6 does not need parentheses around the parameter while the new Python 3 does ( print "Hello World!" vs. print ("Hello world!") )

Next, check that you saved the file with the .py extension, not .txt or .py.txt or something like that.

If you get a black box flashing by, then it probably works, but you're not waiting for a keypress. Add raw_input('Press Enter...') if that's the case.

Running the program from the [link=]command line[/link] will show you any syntax errors in your program.

Have fun!
  • digital19digital19 Posts: 1Member
    It may be working.

In the Wing IDE either press F5 or, in the debug menu choose start/continue.

Your 'Hello World' Should appear in the Debug I/O window beneath your code view. This window by default is in the same collection of tabs as the Python Shell window.