Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Issue of the century: Drawing only what's in the viewport

Hi all. I have a theoretical issue to discuss with you.

As you probably know, user (or world, page, logical etc..) space extents are usually much

larger than device space extents and sometimes, when you have a very large entity (line,

rectangle, whatever) defined in user space and you apply a scale transformation -- the library

doesn't matter here -- to zoom in over a part of the large entity, you reach a point where the

entity disappears (can't be rendered) simply because, at some scale, the transformed vertices

of the entity generate an overflow in device space; but if you zoom in further, you might

encounter some smaller entities in the same spot! I'll try to illustrate better with an

example. Say, our user space supports 64-bit (double) coordinates and our device space is

GDI32 (2^27 units) and we have two lines (in good ol' Cartesian system):

(-100.0, -100.0, +100.0, +100.0) [entity A]

and

(-1000000000000.0, +1000000000000.0, +1000000000000.0, -1000000000000.0) [entity B]

As we can see, the two lines cross point (0, 0) and logically, if I zoom enough to show line A

in my viewport, I should also be able to see (to draw, a programmer may say) line B as well;

but unfortunately, this doesn't happen; when line A is visible, the scaling factor is so big

that the mapped coordinates of line B exceed 27 bits. One solution would be, of course, to

calculate the intersection between line B and my viewport and draw only the visible line

segment. Fine, but what if B was a spline (NURBS), an ellipse, etc. Moreover, periodic curves

can have more than one intersecting segment with the viewport and the formulas and equations

become quite complex. Besides, the idea of down-sampling the user space entity enough to make

it map correctly in device space, flattening it, and finally up-sampling the resulting line

segments, this idea is not acceptable because of the loss of precision (curve smoothness)

incurred..

Let me point out that when the mapped coordinates can't fit in device space, the entity cannot

be flattened (using GDI's FlattenPath()). I tried to flatten (generate) NURBS' using a sample

from the Internet but for some reasons the output doesn't exactly match the same spline when

drawn in AutoCAD(R). Anyway, I wish I knew how to flatten all kinds of curves accurately. My

problem would be solved. I'm trying to study curves intersection now.. damn hard.

All the above applies to Win32. I know little about GDI+ .. but actually, even if the device

space gets larger, the idea of drawing ONLY what's visible in the current viewport (by

generating a new -- usually smaller -- set of sub-entities) should rule IMHO! For performance

reasons and because it simply makes more sense -- and it allows a much broader zooming range

BTW.

So guys! If this has been done before, or if anyone has any clues, books, links.. please let

me know :-) If anyone knows how to generate (by code) an AutoCAD(R) spline accurately, please

help me out :)

In an other forum, I even suggested that this kind of issues (mapping, clamping, clipping..)

should be SOLVED once and for all and become an integral part of all graphics library

packages! Don't you agree?

PS. If anyone knows any other forums or places on the net where I can further discuss these

issues, I would appreciate you letting me know!

Thanks
Robert

Comments

• Malcolm_McLeanMalcolm_McLean Posts: 252Member ✭✭
    There's no general, easy solution.

Basically you must design the world from the very start with clipping in mind. One common strategy is to use cubes of sqaures. Non-visible cubes can then be excluded very quickly. This depends on each object within the world being smaller than a cube, which may cause difficulties for high level curves.

Levels of detail are a similar problem. A lot of games get round the problem by excluding distant views. For instance Doom was set in a maze so that you could never see more than about five cells away before hitting a wall.
  • robert9reenrobert9reen Posts: 2Member
    Thanks for your reply. That's what I've been doing actually but the problem remains when you have like 12 huge splines with one central intersection point in common (spiral kind of shape) and you're viewing the nexus area at a very high (close) zoom level to show a matchbox there for example.. you still have to show parts of the splines - zoomed intersection area.. thus, the squares/cubes technique is useful only if you know and apply the math in order to recalculate the equations of the sections inside the viewport.. so we can draw only those sections.

Robert