Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Getting Started -- where do I put my functions?

cp1cp1 Posts: 2Member
Hi guys, I have a very basic question.

I've managed to figure out how to setup a form. It has a button which opens the open file dialog to select a file. Now I want to do some processing on that file when I click a "GO" button.

Dumb question: where do I put all the code that I've written to process that file? Do I stick it in Form1.h in the button_Click event handler? This is kind of awkward as it is a long bit of code and seems out of place in this file.

What I'd like to do is call a function like processFile() that I put in the program.cpp file VisualC++ created for me (the file with main() in it). But, when I put my processFile there and #include "program.cpp" in Form1.h, I get all sorts of namespace errors. I admit I don't quite understand all this .net type stuff, but I am trying to learn.

If I get my code to live in an appropriate .cpp file, can I access things like form1->textBox1->Text from there?

There is no form1.cpp file either, should there be?

Apologies for this very basic question, I tried to search, but couldn't find anything on it. I found a lot of help setting up my form, but not actually using it to do anything useful.
Thanks in Advance

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    [color=Blue]What type of project you created?
    What kind of VC++ you have? Express Edition? Do you have MFC?[/color]
  • cp1cp1 Posts: 2Member
    Thanks for the reply, sorry for not adding these details.

To create the project I used New Project -> CLR -> Windows Forms Application using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. The platform is "Win32". I'm not sure if I have MFC, I would guess no.

I have debated updating to a newer version through the years, but I am afraid that it may break one of my projects, which would be a disaster because it would likely take me a long time to figure out why.

The following files are in my project: (assume the project name is "project").

Form1.h
    Form1.resX
    resource.h
    stdafx.h

app.ico
    app.rc

AssemblyInfo.cpp
    project.cpp
    stdafx.cpp
  • AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    [color=Blue]I see.
    Express does not have MFC.
    The project you created is a managed C++ code.
    I am not an expert in this language.
    Try to right click on a button and select "Properties" - then in the opened panel select "MouseClick" event and type a name of a function in that field - VS 2005 should create a function body for that button, but for some reason it creates in .H file.[/color]