Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Addresses of Objects

Cpp NewbieCpp Newbie Posts: 16Member
I am trying to find a way of differentiating between two objects in Java. I am aware that the hashCode method will return an integer relating to the object's address providing that it has not been overridden. However since this is not guaranteed, after many hours googling I found the System.identityHashCode(Object obj) method where obj is the object of which the hashCode is required.

Is this the only method of differentiating between two objects, or is there a way of obtaining the actual address of an object?

Regards,
Adam

Comments

• vibin_mdcpvibin_mdcp Posts: 60Member
    Hi Adam

You don't need address of an object in Java. Java is much more simple than C or CPP. For differentiating between two objects, you can use Object.equals(Object obj) method. Refer API available for JDK for more information.

For example

int x; long y;

x.equals(y) // this will return false.
  • Cpp NewbieCpp Newbie Posts: 16Member
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but the equals method isnt any good for what Im trying to do. Im aiming to have the an identifier (either address of or unique integer) for an object appear in a tooltip and the user can then just check if two objects are the same.

So far the System.identityHashCode(Object) method is working (to some extent), however it gives different results for primitive types. More clearly, if I have two objects A and B in a collection, with A having a field to store a reference to B then both B in the collection and the reference to B in A have the same identifiers. (Expected since they both point to the same object.) However looking at fields of B (primitive types only) they have different identifiers, although i would expect them to be the same since they belong to the same instance of B.

regards,
    Adam
  • vibin_mdcpvibin_mdcp Posts: 60Member
    Sorry I am confused of your reply. Will you send a complete or clear situation where you stuck.
  • IroegbuIroegbu Posts: 1Member
    You cannot have references for primitive data types like int,float and double it should work with String though and StringBuffer. Hope that helps, I'm still learning but I know that the compilers just substitute the variable name with the value for primitve and the variables DON'T POINT TO OBJECTS.
    Iroegbu