Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Need some help

tylerbjhtylerbjh Member Posts: 1
Hey all, I just signed up with these forums, I need some help. I just started taking a database management course online and am stuck on my first assignment.. not good I know. Anyway my task was as follows:

Assignment specifications
You are hired by a primary school to design a database application used to disseminate information to parents and teachers through email .
The following information is known about each parent: last name, first name, address, phone number, cell phone, email address

The following information is known about teachers: first name, last name, email, address, phone number, cell phone, class taught. (Assume a teacher teaches only one class)

The following information is known about students: first name, last name, class attended, father, mother

The following information is know about classes: name, room number (Assume a class is always taught in the same room)

You may use any software you may have installed on your computer to draw the diagrams: Visio, MS Word, Paint, Excel etc...
----------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1 (10 marks)
Using the summarized ER approach page 38 of your book. Draw *your* E-R diagram of this database application.
I say *your* as you may ask yourself legitimate questions about the application. Assume the client is not available to answer and *you* must make some choices. Explain and justify each choice you make.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Part 2 (10 marks)
Using the procedure outline in your book (normalization guidelines). Put your database into third normal form.
For each table, identify the primary key and the foreign keys.
------------------------------------------------------------------
For each table of your database, identify the data type you plan to use for every field.
As we did not cover data types yet, use terms like number, string, yes/no, etc...
---------------------------------------------------------------
Your design must accommodate the fact that a student can have one or two parents/tutors. An association table is a wise choice.
Contrary to what you may think, phone numbers should not be represented as numbers, because of the ( and the -
As a rule, use numbers only if you plan to do some computations on them.

Ok so what I have so far is

[b]Parent[/b]
lname
fname
address
phone
cell
email
student_id

[b]Teacher[/b]
lname
fname
address
phone
cell
email
classname

[b]Student[/b]
student_id
fname
lname
class
father
mother
classname

[b]Class[/b]
classname
roomnum

So I understand the relation between student and parent through student_id and the relation of class and teacher is classname.

But too be completely honest I'm lost past this point. I don't need someone to do this for me, but any clarification too help me grasp my mind around this would be awesome.

Thankyou so much