Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Login to a forum with socket... can't stay logged in

nasaiya2nasaiya2 Posts: 2Member
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem that has me banging my head against the keyboard.

I'm writing a script that connects via socket to a vbulletin forum, POSTS the login form, and then /should/ (once logged in) just GET a page to be parsed.

The forum seems to create a session upon your first visit to a page if you aren't logged in, so I GET the home page, snatch the session id out of it and post it with the login form just like the site does. The login is successful and the server returns the "you are logged in, you will be redirected to blah blah blah" page.

But the problem is no matter what I do after that I can't stay logged in! The site does set a sessionhash cookie and some other cookies which I AM reading and sending back to the server in my final GET request (I made sure by watching it with wireshark) but that doesn't do it...

I've compared my script's conversation with the server against the same conversation using lynx with wireshark and I can't find anything different except lynx stays logged in, and my script doesn't.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. I could attach some code if necessary but I think I'm just missing something.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• leeb003leeb003 Posts: 12Member
    Since you are using wireshark, do you notice any resets?
    Have you tried WWW::Mechanize?
  • nasaiya2nasaiya2 Posts: 2Member
    Thanks for the reply!

No there don't seem to be any resets coming. It's actually starting to look like the server won't take the session id cookie the script sends for some reason...

The SID actually gets sent to the login.php page as part of the login form which would explain why it allows me to get to the "login success" page. The login success page tells me to set a cookie with that same SID which I believe must be the only way it checks if I'm logged in.

Maybe I'm not sending the cookie properly but according to wireshark, my script's cookie is identical to the one lynx sends. I don't get it.

I've come to this conclusion after discovering that if I append "?s=theSessionId" to the url of the page I'm trying to access it does in fact think I'm logged in.

Do you see anything wrong with this cookie line? I sure don't...
    "Cookie: bblastvisit=1231815759, bblastactivity=0, IDstack=%2C137742%2C, bbsessionhash=blahblahblah
    "