How do I link a DLL to a Win32 EXE for use?? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How do I link a DLL to a Win32 EXE for use??

I'm trying to get my executeable file to load a few DLLs I have made and compiled so that I don't have to put a ton of functions into the actual executeable, but I have NO experience with DLLs. Can somebody help me figure out how to use both load-time linking (Borland says I have to link with the .LIB for this one?) and run-time linking (for stuff such as the main menu popping up when you press ESC). I would REALLY appreciate any help that anybody can give me. Thanks for your time.

-Seph

Comments

• Hello Speh..

For linking in compile time, you only need to add the lib file to your project, then #include the header file and off you go. For example, you have a void myfunc( int x ) in the DLL, your include file will look like this:

// mydll.h

#if !defined( INC_MYDLL )

#define INC_MYDLL

#if defined( __cplusplus )

extern "C" {

#endif // __cplusplus

// list the functions here

void WINAPI myfunc( int x );

}

#endif // __cplusplus

#endif // INC_MYDLL

If you have a problem with any of the above, post again!

If you want to use a DLL created by someone else, then dont forget to IMPLIB it beforehand. BCB and VC++ both use different format for thier import libraries.

To use the DLL above in run-time, you would do it like this:

typedef void (*WINAPI pMYFUNC)( int );

HINSTANCE hInst = LoadLibrary( "mydll.dll" );

pMYFUNC pMyFunc = (pMYFUNC) GetProcAddress( hInst, "myfunc" );

// and run it..

pMyFunc(10);

// You might want to do this before you are done

FreeLibrary( hInst );

I didnt understand what you mean by main menu and ESC...

Hope this helped a bit

• OK, I didn't make a header file for the dll before. All I did was make a file with the functions in it, and then compiled to a dll, with no errors or warnings. So what would this header file be used for? Just linking purposes??

-Seph

• That header file is the interface to your DLL. Remember, a DLL is a library, and a library is all about packaging some piece of code from the user with only an interface exposed.

For example, GDI.EXE (its a DLL renamed EXE really) is the DLL, windows.h is the interface that has the prototypes of the functions inside that DLL, like int WINAPI SetPixel( HDC hDC, int x, int y );

: OK, I didn't make a header file for the dll before. All I did was make a file with the functions in it, and then compiled to a dll, with no errors or warnings. So what would this header file be used for? Just linking purposes??

:

: -Seph

:

:

:

• So it would be like this?

//the dll itself

int hitval(int level, int str, int agi, int opagi)

{

stuff here;

return hit;

}

//the header

*stuff you showed me here*

int hitval(int level, int str, int agi, int opagi);

I'm going to try it real fast and see what happens. This "fight.dll" is very important to the program though, considering it has all battle info in it.

-Seph

• OK, just got done trying it. I pasted what you posted into the header file, and changed it from INC_MYDLL to INC_FIGHT (fight.dll/fight.cpp) and the void function I replaced with "int hitval(int level, int str, int agi, int opagi);". I am still getting "unresolved external referenced from AoY.OBJ". I have added the .lib file to the project, to be linked with the executeable. Any ideas??

-Seph

• You still need to tell the compiler which functions to export from the DLL. This can be done in 2 ways, the __dllimport/__dllexport or through a DEF file, I use DEF files always because it lets me define the ordinal numbers of those functions myself, meaning, if I update the DLL by adding new functions, the EXE's need not to be recompiled. A good practice!

OK, lets write this down.. I think you know how to create a Win32 DLL project, so here are the files to add.

First of all here's the H file:

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------

// fight.h

#if !defined( INC_FIGHT )

#define INC_FIGHT

extern "C" {

#endif // __cplusplus

int WINAPI hitval(int level, int str, int agi, int opagi);

}

#endif // __cplusplus

#endif // INC_FIGHT

And the CPP file

// fight.cpp

#include

#include "fight.h"

extern "C"

int WINAPI hitval(int level, int str, int agi, int opagi)

{

// for a test, show values in a message box

char buffer[ 80 ];

wsprintf( buffer,

"level = %d
    str = %d
    agi = %d
    opagi = %d",

level, str, agi, opagi );

MessageBox( NULL, buffer, "in dll", MB_OK );

return 10;

}

And the DEF file

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; fight.def

LIBRARY FIGHT.DLL ; should be the same name as the result DLL!

DESCRIPTION 'This is the fight DLL!'

HEAPSIZE 10000

EXPORTS

hitval @100 ; you can add more functions here: function name @101 and so on

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that comments in DEF file are ; comment... much like ASM comments.

That's it, compile/link the lot, you have a DLL and a LIB file. Now create a simple test EXE something like this

// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

// test.cpp

#include

#include "fight.h" // make sure this points to the correct path

int WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int )

{

int ret = hitval( 1, 2, 3, 4 );

char buffer[ 80 ];

wsprintf( buffer, "returned %d", ret );

MessageBox( NULL, buffer, "in exe", MB_OK );

return 0;

}

Add fight.lib to this project, make sure fight.dll is somewhere along the path, run.. It should work fine.

Hope this helps

: OK, just got done trying it. I pasted what you posted into the header file, and changed it from INC_MYDLL to INC_FIGHT (fight.dll/fight.cpp) and the void function I replaced with "int hitval(int level, int str, int agi, int opagi);". I am still getting "unresolved external referenced from AoY.OBJ". I have added the .lib file to the project, to be linked with the executeable. Any ideas??

:

: -Seph

:

• No text... No text... No text... No text... No text... No text...