Evaluate the expression given as a string at runtime - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Evaluate the expression given as a string at runtime

Hi,

I think my problem will give you food for thinking process.What i want to do is just we have to give some expression like 12+3-4 (as a string) at runtime then we have to get the result as 11.Can anyone please tell me with coding.

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    First you have to break the string down into items. If + and - are the only things you need to handle, it is sufficient to just store an array of positive and negative integers based on the string (+ is ignored, - gives a negative number), then loop through the array and sum it all up.
  • vibin_mdcpvibin_mdcp Posts: 60Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : I think my problem will give you food for thinking process.What i
    : want to do is just we have to give some expression like 12+3-4 (as a
    : string) at runtime then we have to get the result as 11.Can anyone
    : please tell me with coding.
    :

Here you have to evaluate an expression given as a string(i.e const char*).
    You can use [b]"atoi()"[/b] function declared in [b][/b] to convert the string to integer. The read integer should be stored in an [b]int[/b] variable. Then you have to read the signs( i.e '+' or '-'). Read next integer using [b]atoi()[/b]. Then Operate the first read [b]int[/b] with the second and store it in the first. Continue the process to end of string. For example look following code;