Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

what causes stack overflow error?

punxkistapunxkista Posts: 3Member
what causes stack overflow error?
i'm doing a dictionary system..every time i search a ord this error occors..please help..

Comments

• ActorActor Posts: 438Member
    : what causes stack overflow error?
    : i'm doing a dictionary system..every time i search a ord this error
    : occors..please help..
    :
    A variety of things, most commonly a recursive call to a function or procedure that does not end.

What is "ord"? Do you mean the ord function? Or perhaps you mean "record"?

Could you post your code?

• Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : what causes stack overflow error?
    : i'm doing a dictionary system..every time i search a ord this error
    : occors..please help..
    :

I think it was supposed to be "search a word".
    Also, the overflow is caused by trying to use too many variables within procedures. The program can not longer allocate memory for the procedures variables when the procedure is called. As Actor said, it is very common with recursive functions, especially if the recursive functions have variable declarations.
    It could also be only 2 or 3 variables, if they are each 40 Kbytes as TP7 only allows 64K total.