Problem with SETUP & DEPLOYMENT - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Problem with SETUP & DEPLOYMENT

marius40marius40 Posts: 42Member
I have run / debug my application and it is not giving me any errors. The moment i tried to create a setup and deployment i start getting problems. The setup file is created and when i install it, it does what it is supposed to do. BUT.. when i run it , it says Exeption was thrown in Mymodule.vb.

I have the module here, and it looks fine. Can anybody tell me what is going on.

Is there anybody to whom i can send ALL of my code, to help me, yust with the compiling.. This is a project for College i am working on, and my time is running out. PLEASE HELP...!!!
Here is the mymodule code..
[code]
Public Module MyModule
Dim Rs_AppPath As String = System.IO.Directory.GetCurrentDirectory
Public testname1, testname2, testname3, testname4, testname5, testname6, testname7, testname8, testname9, testname10 As String
Public AmountTests As Integer
Public str As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=" & Application.StartupPath.Substring(0, Application.StartupPath.LastIndexOf("bin")) & "libra.mdb;Mode=Share Deny None;Extended Properties=;Jet OLEDB:System database=;Jet OLEDB:Registry Path=;Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=1;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False"
Public currentstudent As String
Public lecturerdays1, lecturerdays2, lecturerdays3, lecturerdays4 As Integer

End Module
[/code]

Comments

• seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 684Member ✭✭✭
    A null reference exception? Can you paste in the entire details from the exception your getting?

I have a sneaking suspicion its on the Public str as string line.
  • marius40marius40 Posts: 42Member
    : A null reference exception? Can you paste in the entire details from
    : the exception your getting?
    :
    : I have a sneaking suspicion its on the Public str as string line.

Here is the details, i used the [] to indicate, hope it correct...
    [CODE]
    System.InvalidOperationException was unhandled
    Message="An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: The type initializer for 'Library.MyModule' threw an exception."
    Source="Library"
    StackTrace:
    at Library.My.MyProject.MyForms.Create__Instance__[T](T Instance) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 190
    at Library.My.MyProject.MyForms.get_mainform()
    at Library.My.MyApplication.OnCreateMainForm() in F:My Book Library DataBaseLibraryMy ProjectApplication.Designer.vb:line 35
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)
    at Library.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 81 [/CODE]

What framework are you using? (2003-1.1, 2005-2.0, 2008-3.5)

That is a strange error, can you describe how you've compiled and are installing this application? I have never built an executable installer. If you have a meebo.com account you can find me on there as FireSickle (or if you have MSN, I am on that as firesickle gmail com)
    : What framework are you using? (2003-1.1, 2005-2.0, 2008-3.5)
    :
    : That is a strange error, can you describe how you've compiled and
    : are installing this application? I have never built an executable
    : installer. If you have a meebo.com account you can find me on there
    : as FireSickle (or if you have MSN, I am on that as firesickle
    : gmail com)

I am using 2005. I used the SETUP-WIZARD. I first build the application and then added the SETUP-Wizard PROJECT. I have a feeling that some path in my application is not finding something. Maybee in resources.

Is there someplace i can send my code so that someone can try to compile it. It is about 5 meg when zipped. The code is not professional, and i dont want someone to re-write it, just to look at this problem.. PLEASE..
    I don't know of any places. What kind of time frame are we looking at? I am at work right now, and will be until late tonight (doing inventory counts and supporting the inventory system at one of our plants near Memphis).

I can take a look at your code, but I cannot guarantee I can make heads or tails of it...
    : I don't know of any places. What kind of time frame are we looking
    : at? I am at work right now, and will be until late tonight (doing
    : inventory counts and supporting the inventory system at one of our
    : plants near Memphis).
    :
    : I can take a look at your code, but I cannot guarantee I can make
    : heads or tails of it...

I have until Monday, I can email it to you, if you don't mind downloading the code. I just Zipped it, It is 7.9 meg. Can i use the email above?

Thanks. I would appreciate any help..
    I am looking at the code, it compiles correctly. When is it giving you that error?
    : I am looking at the code, it compiles correctly. When is it giving
    : you that error?

It is compiling correctly, but when i run the program that is being installed, it does not run. THat is, after i installed it on a 3rd party computer.

Please try that
    When you install this software on a third party computer, please ensure that the Windows XP .Net Framework 2.0 is installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

I was able to run this on a PC that did not have Developer studio, but had 2.0 installed properly... I dont know how your installing, i just used the .exe file that was in the Bin folder...
    : When you install this software on a third party computer, please
    : ensure that the Windows XP .Net Framework 2.0 is installed.
    :
    : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-436
    : 2-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
    :
    : I was able to run this on a PC that did not have Developer studio,
    : but had 2.0 installed properly... I dont know how your installing, i
    : just used the .exe file that was in the Bin folder...

I created an setup -depoyment project using SETUP-WIZARD which i added to the project. I know it runs from the exe in the bin. But i am supposed to have an executable application. THe moment i run my setup and the 3rd party tries to run it, it throws and exeption.

Do you know how i should add the setup project to this project, because i think this is where i am going wrong?

Any other mistakes you can spot, i need good marks and would love some +- critics, i dont know someone that has the knowledge to look at it.
    thanks again