Problem with SETUP & DEPLOYMENT - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Problem with SETUP & DEPLOYMENT

marius40marius40 Posts: 42Member
I have run / debug my application and it is not giving me any errors. The moment i tried to create a setup and deployment i start getting problems. The setup file is created and when i install it, it does what it is supposed to do. BUT.. when i run it , it says Exeption was thrown in Mymodule.vb.

I have the module here, and it looks fine. Can anybody tell me what is going on.

Is there anybody to whom i can send ALL of my code, to help me, yust with the compiling.. This is a project for College i am working on, and my time is running out. PLEASE HELP...!!!
Here is the mymodule code..
[code]
Public Module MyModule
Dim Rs_AppPath As String = System.IO.Directory.GetCurrentDirectory
Public testname1, testname2, testname3, testname4, testname5, testname6, testname7, testname8, testname9, testname10 As String
Public AmountTests As Integer
Public str As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=" & Application.StartupPath.Substring(0, Application.StartupPath.LastIndexOf("bin")) & "libra.mdb;Mode=Share Deny None;Extended Properties=;Jet OLEDB:System database=;Jet OLEDB:Registry Path=;Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=1;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False"
Public currentstudent As String
Public lecturerdays1, lecturerdays2, lecturerdays3, lecturerdays4 As Integer

End Module
[/code]

Comments

• seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 684Member ✭✭✭
    A null reference exception? Can you paste in the entire details from the exception your getting?

I have a sneaking suspicion its on the Public str as string line.
  • marius40marius40 Posts: 42Member
    : A null reference exception? Can you paste in the entire details from
    : the exception your getting?
    :
    : I have a sneaking suspicion its on the Public str as string line.

Here is the details, i used the [] to indicate, hope it correct...
    [CODE]
    System.InvalidOperationException was unhandled
    Message="An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: The type initializer for 'Library.MyModule' threw an exception."
    Source="Library"
    StackTrace:
    at Library.My.MyProject.MyForms.Create__Instance__[T](T Instance) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 190
    at Library.My.MyProject.MyForms.get_mainform()
    at Library.My.MyApplication.OnCreateMainForm() in F:My Book Library DataBaseLibraryMy ProjectApplication.Designer.vb:line 35
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)
    at Library.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 81 [/CODE]

What framework are you using? (2003-1.1, 2005-2.0, 2008-3.5)

That is a strange error, can you describe how you've compiled and are installing this application? I have never built an executable installer. If you have a meebo.com account you can find me on there as FireSickle (or if you have MSN, I am on that as firesickle gmail com)
    : What framework are you using? (2003-1.1, 2005-2.0, 2008-3.5)
    :
    : That is a strange error, can you describe how you've compiled and
    : are installing this application? I have never built an executable
    : installer. If you have a meebo.com account you can find me on there
    : as FireSickle (or if you have MSN, I am on that as firesickle
    : gmail com)

I am using 2005. I used the SETUP-WIZARD. I first build the application and then added the SETUP-Wizard PROJECT. I have a feeling that some path in my application is not finding something. Maybee in resources.

Is there someplace i can send my code so that someone can try to compile it. It is about 5 meg when zipped. The code is not professional, and i dont want someone to re-write it, just to look at this problem.. PLEASE..
    I don't know of any places. What kind of time frame are we looking at? I am at work right now, and will be until late tonight (doing inventory counts and supporting the inventory system at one of our plants near Memphis).

I can take a look at your code, but I cannot guarantee I can make heads or tails of it...
    : I don't know of any places. What kind of time frame are we looking
    : at? I am at work right now, and will be until late tonight (doing
    : inventory counts and supporting the inventory system at one of our
    : plants near Memphis).
    :
    : I can take a look at your code, but I cannot guarantee I can make
    : heads or tails of it...

I have until Monday, I can email it to you, if you don't mind downloading the code. I just Zipped it, It is 7.9 meg. Can i use the email above?

Thanks. I would appreciate any help..
    I am looking at the code, it compiles correctly. When is it giving you that error?
    : I am looking at the code, it compiles correctly. When is it giving
    : you that error?

It is compiling correctly, but when i run the program that is being installed, it does not run. THat is, after i installed it on a 3rd party computer.

Please try that
    When you install this software on a third party computer, please ensure that the Windows XP .Net Framework 2.0 is installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

I was able to run this on a PC that did not have Developer studio, but had 2.0 installed properly... I dont know how your installing, i just used the .exe file that was in the Bin folder...
    : When you install this software on a third party computer, please
    : ensure that the Windows XP .Net Framework 2.0 is installed.
    :
    : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-436
    : 2-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
    :
    : I was able to run this on a PC that did not have Developer studio,
    : but had 2.0 installed properly... I dont know how your installing, i
    : just used the .exe file that was in the Bin folder...

I created an setup -depoyment project using SETUP-WIZARD which i added to the project. I know it runs from the exe in the bin. But i am supposed to have an executable application. THe moment i run my setup and the 3rd party tries to run it, it throws and exeption.

Do you know how i should add the setup project to this project, because i think this is where i am going wrong?

Any other mistakes you can spot, i need good marks and would love some +- critics, i dont know someone that has the knowledge to look at it.
    thanks again