Navigating a Dataset - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Navigating a Dataset

sturner333sturner333 Posts: 3Member
What is the best place (event/procedure) to use the newest record when navigating from record to record on a form.

For example, I want to do a calculation on 2 text boxes that are bound to a dataset. This calculation will be done each time a new record is navigated to.

This seams basic but I am new to .net and can't see, to find the best way.
Thanks

Comments

• seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 684Member ✭✭✭
    How are you binding your textbox to the dataset?

Have you tried doing the code in the TextBox1.TextChanged event?

[code]
    Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged
    TextBox3.Text = CDbl(Textbox1.Text) * CDbl(Textbox2.Text)
    'CDbl stands for Covert Double, which converts an object (such as string or integer) to a Double value.
    'A Double variable holds Decimal (floating point) data (numbers such as 2.12)
    'Where as an integer would round to the nearest whole number (CInt)
    'CInt(2.12) = 2
    'CInt(2.5) = 3

'This event will be triggered each character you type or delete from the text box, or any other time the value of TextBox1 changes...
    End Sub
    [/code]

Hope this helps, if this doesn't help you solve your problem, try passing some code to us and a different description.
  • sturner333sturner333 Posts: 3Member
    : How are you binding your textbox to the dataset?
    :
    : Have you tried doing the code in the TextBox1.TextChanged event?
    :
    : [code]:
    : Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged
    : TextBox3.Text = CDbl(Textbox1.Text) * CDbl(Textbox2.Text)
    : 'CDbl stands for Covert Double, which converts an object (such as string or integer) to a Double value.
    : 'A Double variable holds Decimal (floating point) data (numbers such as 2.12)
    : 'Where as an integer would round to the nearest whole number (CInt)
    : 'CInt(2.12) = 2
    : 'CInt(2.5) = 3
    :
    : 'This event will be triggered each character you type or delete from the text box, or any other time the value of TextBox1 changes...
    : End Sub
    : [/code]:
    :
    : Hope this helps, if this doesn't help you solve your problem, try
    : passing some code to us and a different description.

The textboxes that I will use to calculate are bound to the dataset so they change as I navigate from record to record. I tried the text_change event anyway and it didn't work.

• seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 684Member ✭✭✭
    ok, what I was asking is how did you bind them? Can you show me code or what properties your set on the text box to achieve that? I have never bound an object like that, I prefer to query for and manipulate data before it gets displayed to a user... but I can probably help you if you give me more description.
  • aspongeasponge Posts: 42Member
    : : How are you binding your textbox to the dataset?
    : :
    : : Have you tried doing the code in the TextBox1.TextChanged event?
    : : [code]: :
    : : Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged
    : : TextBox3.Text = CDbl(Textbox1.Text) * CDbl(Textbox2.Text)
    : : 'CDbl stands for Covert Double, which converts an object (such as string or integer) to a Double value.
    : : 'A Double variable holds Decimal (floating point) data (numbers such as 2.12)
    : : 'Where as an integer would round to the nearest whole number (CInt)
    : : 'CInt(2.12) = 2
    : : 'CInt(2.5) = 3
    : : 'This event will be triggered each character you type or delete from the text box, or any other time the value of TextBox1 changes...
    : : End Sub
    : : [/code]: :
    : : Hope this helps, if this doesn't help you solve your problem, try
    : : passing some code to us and a different description.
    :
    : The textboxes that I will use to calculate are bound to the dataset
    : so they change as I navigate from record to record. I tried the
    : text_change event anyway and it didn't work.
    :
    :
    Assuming that you're using a BindingSource and BindingNavigator on your Form, you can handle the CurrentChanged event of the BindingSource object to determine when the user navigates to a new record.

Within the CurrentChanged event handler use the Current property of the BindingSource object to get the record currently loaded onto the form.