Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Desperately need help - OpenGl

Hello!
i'm a very-very beginning OpenGl programmer.
And for making up first serious ( even somehow) programmes, i'd like to understand the basics.

I competely do NOT understand how function [b]GluPerspective[/b] works. I mean, i know its usage in theory but i still can't use it the way it works as i need to.

For instance, i have a cobe centered in (0,0,0), its heigth is 0.6. (so it crosses all the axes in points 0.3,-0.3).

How should I call [b]GluPerspective[/b] to see the edges of the cube ( some of them in fron of the viewer)???

And i do NOT understand the location of the viewer, i mean, the place i stand to see the scene ???

Can anybody explane me , please?

it's really urgent

HUGE thanks

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    Hi,

Its very simple. There are two types of projecttion - Perspective Projection and othograpics projection.

Perspective Projection gives you a view like in the real world - further you go smaller it will look while Orthographics projection keeps the size in tact. However far in the world it goes - the size is the same.

Now to do perspective projection you need to use gluPerspective in Opengl.

Consider this diagram of the two types of viewing frustum. The cuboid/rectangular type is the Orthographics projection frustum while the other one is the perspective viewing frsutum.

http://www.microsoft.com/msj/archive/opengl8.gif

Now lets get to the specific of gluPerspective -
    gluPerspective( GLdouble fovy,
    GLdouble aspect,
    GLdouble zNear,
    GLdouble zFar )

fovy is field of view for the y direction. This is the amount that you would want to see. So it goes like this in terms of a diagram

. |
    . |
    . |y direction
    eye. ) angle |
    . |
    . |
    . |

The aspect ratio determines the angle or how much is visible to eye on the x direction. However in an application it needs to use something to determine thus so it uses the width/height as the factor to calculate this. Thus your aspect ratio becomes the application width divided by the application height.

| |
    | |
    near clipping | | far clipping plane
    plane | |
    zNear | | zFar
    | |

zFar - Think of this as the horizon after which you cannot see anything. Anything outside of this value will be clipped meaning not rendered.

zNear - This is the nearest point to the view/eye before which nothing will be visible.

So what you would do is do the following in opengl for gluPerspective for what you want

gluPerspective(45.0f, width/height, 0.1f, 100.0f);

And also set yourself at (should be done after you call glClear(..) and before rendering anything.)
    gluLookAt(0, 0, 5, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0);

Basically saying set the eye point at 0, 0, 5 pixels behind origin with center being 0, 0, 0 and Up vector being 0, 1, 0.

Hope this helps

: Hello!
    : i'm a very-very beginning OpenGl programmer.
    : And for making up first serious ( even somehow) programmes, i'd like
    : to understand the basics.
    :
    : I competely do NOT understand how function [b]GluPerspective[/b]
    : works. I mean, i know its usage in theory but i still can't use it
    : the way it works as i need to.
    :
    : For instance, i have a cobe centered in (0,0,0), its heigth is 0.6.
    : (so it crosses all the axes in points 0.3,-0.3).
    :
    : How should I call [b]GluPerspective[/b] to see the edges of the cube
    : ( some of them in fron of the viewer)???
    :
    : And i do NOT understand the location of the viewer, i mean, the
    : place i stand to see the scene ???
    :
    : Can anybody explane me , please?
    :
    : it's really urgent
    :
    : HUGE thanks
    :