SetFileTime & DOS Filetime Limitations - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

SetFileTime & DOS Filetime Limitations

Hello All,

I have recently been in the process of scanning photographs dating back to the 1940s. In order to classify them better I decided to write a little utility that uses the Windows API SetFileTime function to set the file creation date to the date the photographs were actually taken.

All went well till I attempted to set dates prior to 01/01/1980 when I started getting "the parameter is incorrect" error messages. After some searching on the net I discovered that DOS filetimes have to range between 1980 and 2107. This makes a mockery of the FileTime structure which claims to store times as 100 ns intervals since 01/01/1601.

I am using Windows XP - perhaps the problem exists with Windows Vista as well. Briefly - am I stuck with the problem or is there anything at all that I can do to assign dates prior 01/01/1980?

I would greatly appreciate any tips.
------------
I have just realized that this issue is in part related to the file system used by the disk in question. I have a drive with multiple partitions some of which are FAT32 whilst others are NTFS. I suspsct I accepted the default settings offered by the partition software I used.

Anyway - I tried this again on an NTFS disk and the date change worked perfectly. I can see the altered dates when I right click and view file properties. However...Windows Explorer simply shows blanks in place of the creation/modification dates. Anything I can do about this

Comments

• mimilymimily Posts: 8Member
    maybe you used that partition software can not do files convert previously.which [b]Magic server partition manager-partition wizard [/b][italic][/italic][u][/u]can Convert partition format from FAT to NTFS,Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk without data loss.maybe you can have a try