How to burn a code into a microprocessor - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How to burn a code into a microprocessor

I joined college this year and i also joined robotics club thinking that they will teach how to programme in asm .They are using a compiler called bascom for programming atmega16 microprocessor in basic.But i want to programme a robot in asm or c.So what compiler should i use and how do i burn the programme in microprocessor.I heard of programmer .What is it.Is it a cable used to transfer the programme in the microprocessor
After writing a programme in a baascom the demonstrater clicked a option called burn inm the bascom compiler.The PCB board was connected to a microprocessor with a cable which went behind the CPU where the printer goes .Is that cable called a programmer.But if i amake a programme for a line follwer in my dev c++ compiler how do i transfer it to the microprocessor because in Dev c++ we dont have a burn option.

Comments

• CsehCseh Posts: 4Member
    : I joined college this year and i also joined robotics club thinking
    : that they will teach how to programme in asm .They are using a
    : compiler called bascom for programming atmega16 microprocessor in
    : basic.But i want to programme a robot in asm or c.So what compiler
    : should i use and how do i burn the programme in microprocessor.I
    : heard of programmer .What is it.Is it a cable used to transfer the
    : programme in the microprocessor
    : After writing a programme in a baascom the demonstrater clicked a
    : option called burn inm the bascom compiler.The PCB board was
    : connected to a microprocessor with a cable which went behind the CPU
    : where the printer goes .Is that cable called a programmer.But if i
    : amake a programme for a line follwer in my dev c++ compiler how do i
    : transfer it to the microprocessor because in Dev c++ we dont have a
    : burn option.
    : Hi Bodhi,
    First, the atmega16 is not a microprocessor but it is an AVR microcontroller from ATMEL. Normally you cann't burn programmes in microprocessors but you can burn it in microcontrollers. You have to buy an Atmel microcontrollers programmer and you have to generate the HEX file from the asm file. Feed the Hex file into the programmer and burn it! If you want to programme it in asm you need programme AVR STUDIO 4 from Atmel.It is free. You can download it from Atmel's homepage. If you programme in asm you don't need any compiler.
    Best Regards
    J. Cseh

• anthrax11anthrax11 Posts: 511Member
    : You have to buy an Atmel microcontrollers programmer
    :
    That's one option, but if you know a thing or two about electronics you can
    save a load of money by making your own programmer. There are really simple
    schematics out there if you search for "atmega16 programmer" on Google.

I've used WinAVR for compiling and PonyProg for writing the hex file into
    the controller, but use whatever works for you :-).
  • msm007msm007 faridabad,haryana.Posts: 1Member

can we program our microprocessor in the pc for our purpose.................i mean can i burn the the microprocessor????????/