Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

measuring black line width

Hi,
I would like to measure black line [b]width[/b] (width of 0.5 inch)with a robot.
I don't know how to do it. I use a QRB1134 sensor and the Analog/digital converter.
please can someone guide me for this please?
C.

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    Out of curiousity I looked at the data sheet for that device. It has a simple phototransistor output, so it is digital, not analog. Where do you get the analog part from?

Do you intend to have some sort of robot arm carrying the device over a line? In that case you have the speed of the robot arm and the time between transistor off and on. The time multiplied with the speed gives you the width of the line. I imagine you need a quite accurate speed for this, as well as a precise CPU clock.
  • brad suebrad sue Posts: 6Member
    : Out of curiousity I looked at the data sheet for that device. It has
    : a simple phototransistor output, so it is digital, not analog.
    : Where do you get the analog part from?
    :
    : Do you intend to have some sort of robot arm carrying the device
    : over a line? In that case you have the speed of the robot arm and
    : the time between transistor off and on. The time multiplied with the
    : speed gives you the width of the line. I imagine you need a quite
    : accurate speed for this, as well as a precise CPU clock.

I don't know about the analog part. For the moment we are just trying to recognize line width. As you suggested I need to have a precise value of the robot speed. I guess I will have to compute the speed using the pulse with modulation. I just need to figure out how! I will search for it but if I dont find it maybe I will need further help.
    Thank you