Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Spam bots

LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
I just wonder what is being done against the spam bots? Is there a new user register procedure in the make, and if so, when can we see it live?

Comments

• MT2002MT2002 Posts: 1,444Member
    Very much agree--this site has *alot* of spam posts right now. I hope Jonathon can come up with something to stop them. It would also be nice if the admins can delete the spam post accounts+all of the spam posts made by those accounts.

There hasn't been spam posts like this until the site upgrade.
  • LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    I guess the lack of action shows how little the owners of this site cares about it. I doubt they even visit it. This has been going on for weeks now without any action from PH. The main C++ board is flooded with page after page of spam, and the only moderator option is to delete them one by one.

Programmer's Heaven lacks, and deserately needs the following features:

- A registration process with "optical" vertification. Ie some letters displayed in a weird picture, that the user have to type in.

- Flood control on the message boards. All spam is posted at once.

- A moderator feature where more than one post could be deleted at once.

If the moderators were trusted with banning in the case of spam bots, it would also make things harder for the spammers.
  • nicolainicolai Posts: 9Member, Administrator admin
    : I guess the lack of action shows how little the owners of this site
    : cares about it. I doubt they even visit it. This has been going on
    : for weeks now without any action from PH. The main C++ board is
    : flooded with page after page of spam, and the only moderator option
    : is to delete them one by one.
    :
    : Programmer's Heaven lacks, and deserately needs the following
    : features:
    :
    : - A registration process with "optical" vertification. Ie some
    : letters displayed in a weird picture, that the user have to type in.
    :
    : - Flood control on the message boards. All spam is posted at once.
    :
    : - A moderator feature where more than one post could be deleted at
    : once.
    :
    : If the moderators were trusted with banning in the case of spam
    : bots, it would also make things harder for the spammers.

Hi, we are not ignoring this, Jonathan (our lead developer) is on vacation, and Brad is working hard on getting some additional tools (such more captcha even when signed in), to combat these spam bots, we have people routinely going in and deleting spam posts everyday, but the massive amount of spam is just a bit too much to combat at this time.

You can see that some of these things went live today, we are hoping to add more and more features to combat the spam, we are also working on a bit more sophisticated rating system that will also help keeping spam a bit less visible on the website).

Regards,
    Nicolai
  • nicolainicolai Posts: 9Member, Administrator admin
    : I guess the lack of action shows how little the owners of this site
    : cares about it. I doubt they even visit it. This has been going on
    : for weeks now without any action from PH. The main C++ board is
    : flooded with page after page of spam, and the only moderator option
    : is to delete them one by one.

Just to answer this a bit more clearly; On the contrary a lot of time and money is spent on this, much more than current revenues can support, in hope of getting some good traction and building a good community.

The website have had some problems (Windows seem to have a hard time handling the load, and crash sometimes, we are working on this), the spam bots have caught us by nothing really changed in how things are submitted, but the past few weeks the system have been flooded with thousands of spams posts a day, and we have been working on deleting things as they come in and updating the systems to reduce the spams.

We are once step on the way, and are nowhere near solving this in one go, but we will do this incrementally to improve it over time, suggestions are always welcome (the webmasters will pick them up).

Regards,
    Nicolai
  • LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    If it generated different codes each time you posted, it would actually be useful. It even asks for the same code after I closed the browser and relogged...

This update seems to come with a new array of bugs, the language filter doesn't let you post anything etc. Together with the load of already solved bugs that are popping back up and bugs that were never solved, the site has turned into a pain to use. It is especially embarrassing as this is a PROGRAMMING site, and then you can't even get some basic ASP web junk right...

I'm fed up with this. Next time I find a bug I will simply leave the site, there are plenty of other programming sites out there.