Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Link Error

p3aulp3aul Posts: 5Member
I create a program in Delphi and got it to work fine. I ported it over to C++ Builder and after the usual quirks and glitches, I got it past the compiler with no errors, but then I got this link error:

[ILINK32 Error] Fatal: Unable to open file ''
No hint as to which file failed to open!
Here are the includes:

[code][color=Red]#include
#pragma hdrstop

#include "Unit1.h"
#include
#include [/color][/code]
Any help will surely be appreciated!
Paul

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    Why are you including vcl.h twice?

Also, C++ standard requires the syntax

#include
    using namespace std;
  • p3aulp3aul Posts: 5Member
    : Why are you including vcl.h twice?
    :
    : Also, C++ standard requires the syntax
    :
    : #include
    : using namespace std;
    I didn't see that. I'm using Codegear RAD Studio and it put in in by default. I didn't know about the using namespace std.

• p3aulp3aul Posts: 5Member
    Well I still don't what the problem is. I put the same code in an old copy of C++ Builder 3 that I had and it works just fine!

: Why are you including vcl.h twice?
    :
    : Also, C++ standard requires the syntax
    :
    : #include
    : using namespace std;

• luckyboyluckyboy Posts: 105Member
    I know it is a very bad idea
    could you uninstall C++Builder, restart windows, reinstall it.
    you have to do that only if you can't compile your program right after widows restart

also, i always use math.h, it works fine, i believe it is not the cause;

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    With the information provided, it is impossible to tell, really. Double includes of vcl.h seem fishy, if Borland didn't include header guards in that h-file, you would get linker errors. But I doubt they do such newbie errors in their library files.

math.h is not the cause, I just pointed out that it was incorrect C++ syntax. It works just because Borland added non-standard compiler extensions. Borland in particular are infamous for their historically poor support for standard C++ #include syntax, you had to use the old .h syntax til they finally fixed it somewhere around Builder vers 3 and 4. They still support the non-standard syntax though.
  • luckyboyluckyboy Posts: 105Member
    : math.h is not the cause, I just pointed out that it was incorrect
    : C++ syntax. It works just because Borland added non-standard
    : compiler extensions. Borland in particular are infamous for their
    : historically poor support for standard C++ #include syntax, you had
    : to use the old .h syntax til they finally fixed it somewhere around
    : Builder vers 3 and 4. They still support the non-standard syntax
    : though.

i didn't get the point, since the first version i worked with was CBuilder 6.0 and the free one Borland 5.0 that supports OWL programming rather than VCL, and both of them supports C++ standard syntax as i think.
    any way you can include math.h, or cmath ---- iostream.h, or iostream
    all works fine, for Microsoft VC++ you can include conio.h but for borland you can include both conio.h, and conio
    i don't know the difference, but i think Borland introduced many files without .h to accommodate any style

thanx for clarification about versions 3 and 4
    and i think including vcl.h twice is just a print mistake
    and yes Borland supports include gaurd headers, :-)