Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Fun programming projects for Pascal

Josh CodeJosh Code Posts: 675Member
Do you have an idea for a fun project in Pascal? It doesn't matter if you've worked on it or not.

What kind of project do you think would be educational to a beginner or intermediate user of Pascal?

Comments

• Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : Do you have an idea for a fun project in Pascal? It doesn't matter
    : if you've worked on it or not.
    :
    : What kind of project do you think would be educational to a beginner
    : or intermediate user of Pascal?

Pick something that interests you and set a goal for yourself. Don't get discouraged because you may never achieve your goal, you always learn alot along the way. If you don't know how to do something, search the net and read as much as you can. Usually if you're persistant you can find enough information out that way and sometimes all you need to do is ask for some help in how to properly use it.

Personally I used to always try building games as that is where my enjoyment lied. I enjoy trying to figure out how things work, so figuring out the make up of save game files intrigued me and along with that I would make save game editors. Some people may prefer to try to make a Text Editor or a Calculator, etc. Best to do what you enjoy.

That being said, you could try designing a calculator that uses both the standard keypad and also has a hilighted button that is able to be moved around with the arrow keys or able to be pressed with the mouse. i think this would be a good starter project. You ould decide to do it either text based or graphically (or text at first, then convert to graphics later).

See what you can come up with,
    Phat Nat
  • ActorActor Posts: 438Member
    : Do you have an idea for a fun project in Pascal? It doesn't matter
    : if you've worked on it or not.
    :
    : What kind of project do you think would be educational to a beginner
    : or intermediate user of Pascal?

For a really fun project (IMHO) try writing a text editor [bold]without using another text editor[/bold]. I.e., bootstrap programming. The first step is to use the DOS COPY command to create a the most fundamental editor possible, i.e., one that just lets you enter text, not change it. Then use that editor to add the capability to add new text, delete text and change text.

The editor itself should not be complex. It should be something like EDLIN, a simple line editor that came with earlier versions of DOS. Try Googling EDLIN for the specs on EDLIN.

I actually did this a few years back but, better editors being available of course, I never used it once I got it done.