Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Have mercy on a poor Win guy...

I just recently left windows and jumped into Linux. It's cool and I love it, but I have no Idea how to program for it. I have been programming for windows for a while, so I know C/C++ and all that great stuff, but I'm not even sure how to get started w/linux programming. Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Comments

• : I just recently left windows and jumped into Linux. It's cool and I love it, but I have no Idea how to program for it. I have been programming for windows for a while, so I know C/C++ and all that great stuff, but I'm not even sure how to get started w/linux programming. Can someone help point me in the right direction?

:

So have I and I can't offer much help other than you'll find a compiler called GCC (hopefully) on your system which is a C compiler. Borland are also releasing Delphi early next year which is what I'm waiting for. Good Luck.

• Most Linux distributions come with a LOT of goodies which include compilers for C, C++, TCL, Perl, you name it, they got it. It sounds like you are used to Visual C++, so the Linux versions of things will take some time to get used to. I use the "vi" editor for all of my Linux Programming.

My recommendation is this.. Learn as much as you can about the Linux/Unix Operating system FIRST, and then after you are used to the command line, etc. try out some of the compilers. (My personal favorites are Perl and TCL)