Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Need some career advice.

http://www.abington.psu.edu//psasite/ce/ocprodev/net.html#intro

I am thinking of getting into programming. I have been in IT support for the last 8 years (I am sure that experience is not helpful). To be honest I am a bit scared. My fear, "Is this the right choice for me?" I know I want to get into programming, but there are so many choices. What kind of traits do you need to be a programmer? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    Hi,

The main thing support may have taught you, is how to solve problems for yourself. One of the big things you have to do in programming is to solve problems. There are a lot of differences in the skills that you will need and the types of problems, though, and there's a greater reliance on mathematical skills.

There are loads of free compilers, tools and tutorials out there and maybe the best thing you could do to get more of an idea if programming is for you is download some of them and just have a go. If you pick it up quickly and enjoy it, then perhaps it's the right way to go. If you just can't get any of it into your head, or you start doing it but find you hate it, then I guess you discover that it's not so much the right way. But I'd try just playing around with it a bit before jumping into a course or something.

Jonathan
    ###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");