Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Linux Newbie - Experienced Programmer - Help !

DaveWestDaveWest Posts: 1Member

My Name is Dave West. I live in Okemos Michigan.

I am a Linux newbie and an experienced industrial control software programmer.

I have developed, over the last 25 years, some significant software to control the manufacture of asphalt, both in drum and batch plants. I use the company name

Comments

• Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    I don't work much with Linux, so I won't be much help there. I recently have started using Delphi and it's really good and that would be my recommendation... other than the fact that you are using homebrew cards.

I understand why people think you should switch to Windows, but personally I think trying to get your cards to be compatible would be too much of a pain and windows doesn't like to give direct control to ports, etc. It obviously could be done, but how much time is it worth...

Doing a quick web search brings back that Free Pascal & GNU Pascal both offer Linux support. For a multitasking enivronment, these would probably be your best bet.

If all it comes down to is they want a windows-like GUI, you could create a GUI to run on DOS. It's fairly easy, depending on how graphically intense you want it. I find the biggest drawback to a DOS GUI is that I have never been able to figure out how to change the refresh rate, so if you run a medium resolution 640x480 screen you will get flicker!

Hopefully someone else has some ideas (Zibadian?). If you decide to implement a DOS GUI, I'm more than willing to give you a hand as I've played around with DOS graphics for many years.

Phat Nat