Need READ Access to BIOS ROM - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Need READ Access to BIOS ROM

pdp8pdp8 Posts: 4Member

After the OS (Windows XP Embedded)and a single C++ application is up and running, I need that application to read several bytes of data from the BIOS ROM. The data to be read is checksum-type information which will have been previously stored in the BIOS ROM at a known address when the chip was burned.

I can think of two or three potential solutions:
1.- Is there a way to gain READ ACCESS to the upper 512k of the 4G address space (0xfff80000-0xffffffff) where the BIOS image is available? (Any attempt to read it directly in assembly language results in a C0000005 access violation, as one would expect.)

2.- Is there a Software Interrupt that will call a subroutine in the bios to return what I want?

3.- Is there a Software Interrupt that will call a user-written subroutine in the bios? (The bios is a custom BCM.)

If none of the above is feasible, can anyone suggest an alternative approach? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob.