Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

ecu password

wig77wig77 Member Posts: 1
Hi my cousin races british superbike and recently bought his bike off his team so he could do his own work on it but the problem is he cannot get into the engine management unit which is a motec m800 because the man who programmed the engine map put a password on it so when he connects it to his laptop to download data it asks for the password but the bloke will not give it to him until the end of the season.

HE HAS SEEN HIM TYPE THE PASSWORD IN BEFORE AND ITS 7 LETTERS LONG WITH NO NUMBERS IF THAT MAKES IT ANY EASIER TO CRACK BUT HE NEVER SAW WHICH LETTERS

I would like to know if anyone knows of a password cracker he can use to try and get the password or have any other ideas. (sending it to the manufacturer is out the question because they say they would wipe it clean)

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

CHRIS

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    : HE HAS SEEN HIM TYPE THE PASSWORD IN BEFORE AND ITS 7 LETTERS LONG
    : WITH NO NUMBERS IF THAT MAKES IT ANY EASIER TO CRACK BUT HE NEVER
    : SAW WHICH LETTERS
    :
    Assuming it's case sensitive, that still leaves approximately a billion ((2*26)^7 = 1,028,071,702,528) different possibilities, if it really is randomly selected. That's a LOT of possibilities if you want to try and brute force it.

Plus I'd imagine that there's not that many/any ready-made programs out there for cracking this - it doesn't strike me as a commonly cracked kinda thing...so you may end up having to write your own tool to do this. Then it may still have a "if you get it wrong 10 times it locks" style thing.

The people more likely to be in the know on this would, I expect, be people on forums about this particular unit, rather than on a general programming forum like this. I doubt there's all that many people here who play with such hardware. So maybe you'd have more luck there.

Likely illegal tactics to obtain the password would include installing a keylogger on the computer of the person who does know the password, so it's captured as he types it in...

Good luck,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
  • stephenraymondstephenraymond Member Posts: 1
    How did you go cracking the password - we are in a simular situation where we want access to the motec in our rally car.