Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

I NEED AN ACCESS DATABASE USING VB 6 & Multi user software

I am an amatuer programmer who has a small but challenging task of developing a clinic database using = ms access & vb 6 in a multiuser enivironment.

1. i dont know how to put make the database into a multiuser ?

2. How to use ADO ?

3. I need to create an inventory ! it also has to display when stock is low!
4. User Permissions : how do i enable e.g. the receptionist to only have read only permissions ? & the Hospital director/Manager to have full acces to the program?

5. Finally An event log : to keep track of all the transactions done !

thanks !

Comments

• rushenttrushentt Posts: 33Member
    If you use VB6, you can use ADO to open and manipulate the database in code in a shared environment. ADO will then take care of the necessary record locking etc.

One of the problems in a multi-user environment is 2 users trying to update the same record at the same time so the easiest way to get round that problem is to store information regarding which record is being edited when a user starts to edit so that the program can check if a record is being edited (if another user also wants to edit the same record) and get the program to notify the 2nd user that they cannot update the record because ... etc - If you can catch my drift there !!

Rgds
    Terry

: I am an amatuer programmer who has a small but challenging task of
    : developing a clinic database using = ms access & vb 6 in a multiuser
    : enivironment.
    :
    : 1. i dont know how to put make the database into a multiuser ?
    :
    : 2. should i make the appliciation in vb 6 or ms-access based?
    :
    :
    : thanks !
    :
    :
  • dokken2dokken2 Posts: 532Member

: : 1. i dont know how to put make the database into a multiuser ?
    : :
    : : 2. should i make the appliciation in vb 6 or ms-access based?

vb 6 will take 2-4 times more coding and time since more effort is
    required, handling ado connections, etc.

access would be quicker development and can handle 2-15 simultaneous users, however each user needs access [or the runtime] installed on their pc. access runs a bit slower than vb since its like an interpreter than a compiler. you need to weigh the tradeoffs.