Embedded C - Read/Write Registers - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Embedded C - Read/Write Registers

RoboBobbleRoboBobble Posts: 29Member
I'm looking at example code from Diamond Systems made for their Prometheus PC/104 board, and I'm trying to figure out the proper C functions to read and write registers. From the sample code's included "manual" :

The example code is written in generic C using outp() and inp() functions. For users with compilers that don

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    Edited your post since the text placed within the code tags made it hard to read.

As for those functions, they are common non-standard C functions. The format is usually like this:

void outp (unsigned char* address, unsigned char data);

unsigned char inp (unsigned char* address);

So those functions are pretty easy to implement on most systems, you just read/write data to an address. Could as well write

*address = data;

The only kind of systems that will moan about that syntax is systems without direct memory access, ie Windows.
  • RoboBobbleRoboBobble Posts: 29Member
    : Edited your post since the text placed within the code tags made it
    : hard to read.
    :
    : As for those functions, they are common non-standard C functions.
    : The format is usually like this:
    :
    : void outp (unsigned char* address, unsigned char data);
    :
    : unsigned char inp (unsigned char* address);
    :
    :
    : So those functions are pretty easy to implement on most systems, you
    : just read/write data to an address. Could as well write
    :
    : *address = data;
    :
    : The only kind of systems that will moan about that syntax is systems
    : without direct memory access, ie Windows.

Thanks for the quick response, and the edit on my post for clarity.

I tried just using the functions within the program, but I get the errors "undefined reference to 'outp'" (or 'inp') If it helps, this is the sample code they give for it:

[code]void PROM_AD_Sample()

{

unsigned char channel; /* AD channel to be sampled. Range 0-15 */

unsigned char mode; /* AD mode for the range, polarity, gain */

unsigned char LSB; /* Least Significant Byte. The 8 rightmost bits of

the 16 bit A/D code */

unsigned char MSB; /* Most Significant Byte. The 8 leftmost bits of

the 16 bit A/D code */

short Data; /* The 16 bit AD sample resulting from the combination of

LSB and MSB. Data range (-32768)-32767. Refer to user manual

on how to calculate voltage */

outp(base, 0x10); /* FIFO reset. Write 1 to RSTFIFO bit (bit 4).

Does not affect any of the other bits */

outp(base + 2, (channel << 4) | channel); /* set A/D channel; Low = High */

outp(base + 3, mode); /* set A/D mode which determines the gain */

while(inp(base + 3) & 0x20) /* wait for WAIT bit (bit 5) = 0 */

/*empty while*/;

outp(base + 0, 0x80); /* start A/D conversion; set STRTAD bit (bit 7) to high */

while(inp(base + 3) & 0x80) /* wait for A/D busy bit (bit 7) = 0 */

/*empty while*/;

LSB = inp(base + 0); /* read data LSB */

MSB = inp(base + 1); /* read data MSB */

Data = (MSB << 8) + LSB; /* combine LSB + MSB */

}[/code]

Problem is my compiler will not recognize outp() or inp() without some form of definition, and I'm not really sure how to do that, exactly. Sorry, I'm a little new to programming on this level, as you can probably tell. I understand the prototypes in that reply, but I get the messages "passing arg 1 of 'outp' makes pointer from integer without a cast" and "undefined reference to 'outp'".

for the record, I'm compiling for BlueCat embedded Linux, using their "Luminosity" dev kit. I'd use a more friendly compiler if I could, but in compiling specifically for BlueCat it's my only real choice.

Thanks again for the help!
  • LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    That likely means that the system is a 32-bit one. On 32-bit computers, the default int type will be 32 bit, and so will addresses/pointers. If you send char pointers to such functions you will get warnings about no typecasts.

Such systems usually wants 32 bit of data at a time... I don't know your particular system, so I can't tell.

What you need to know to write those functions yourself is roughly the following:

- What is the address bus of the system? (8/16/32/64 bit)
    - Does the system support direct memory access?
    - Does the system require memory alignment, ie do you have to write/read at even addresses?

All of this depends on the CPU really, though the OS could add further restrictions.