Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

If-then-else statement doesn't work

Dr. KilljoyDr. Killjoy Posts: 13Member
I'm an absolute beginner at Pascal, and I decided to try to make a working If-then-else statement. The program is very small and basic, so it's pretty self-explanatory. I've checked several tutorials, but I still don't see what I could be doing wrong.

Basically, it asks the user what two plus two is, prompts for and answer, and then says whether the user is right or wrong. However, I seem to have done something wrong at ELSE. Here's the program, and the error given when I try to run it:

[img=http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8016/badprogramkp2.png]

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I'm an absolute beginner at Pascal, and I decided to try to make a
    : working If-then-else statement. The program is very small and basic,
    : so it's pretty self-explanatory. I've checked several tutorials, but
    : I still don't see what I could be doing wrong.
    :
    : Basically, it asks the user what two plus two is, prompts for and
    : answer, and then says whether the user is right or wrong. However, I
    : seem to have done something wrong at ELSE. Here's the program, and
    : the error given when I try to run it:
    :
    : [img=http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8016/badprogramkp2.png]
    :
    : Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    :
    This is a common beginners mistake. Many beginners think that all the statements between [b]then[/b] and [b]else[/b] are combined together when a condition is true:
    [code]
    if i = 4 then
    writeln(i);
    readln;
    else
    writeln('8');
    readln;
    [/code]
    This is far from the truth. In reality only 1 thing may be present between the [b]then[/b] and the [b]else[/b]. Also the if-then-else statement is seen as 1 complex statement, thus no semicolons (;) may be placed before the else. Here's an example of the same code, but correct Pascal:
    [code]
    if i = 4 then
    writeln(i) { <= Notice no ; }
    else
    writeln('8');
    readln;
    [/code]
    If you want to perform multiple statements between the [b]then[/b] and [b]else[/b], you need to combine them into a "block statement" using [b]begin[/b] and [b]end[/b]:
    [code]
    if i = 4 then
    begin
    writeln(i);
    readln(i); { <= Notice the ; because the next word is [b]end[/b] }
    end { <= Notice no ; } else begin
    writeln('8');
    readln;
    end;
    [/code]
  • Dr. KilljoyDr. Killjoy Posts: 13Member
    All right, thanks. Works perfectly now.