Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Connecting to a SQL Database on the Remote PC

wild_spiritwild_spirit Posts: 2Member
[hr]
[color=Blue]Dear Friends[/color]

I have few PCs connected in a LAN and have developed an application in which the database is as usual in the local PC , but now I wish to install the database on a remote PC which will be connected through LAN and all other PCs which have the Application installed in them could get access to it, as well as do all the necessary operations such as read, write, Update, delete etc.

If U guys can help me by writing the technique to do or by providing a sample example with code then I'd remain ever grateful to You

Thank you all in advance
Wild_Spirit

Comments

• rlcrlc Posts: 448Member

I am not sure if it is impossible now, but after the code-red worm Microsoft added a lot of security to prevent remote DB installations. If the DB is installed already on the computer a remote connection can be made by enabling the TCP/IP protocol in the SQL settings manager.

~rlc
  • bradwangbradwang Posts: 197Member
    :
    : I am not sure if it is impossible now, but after the code-red worm
    : Microsoft added a lot of security to prevent remote DB
    : installations. If the DB is installed already on the computer a
    : remote connection can be made by enabling the TCP/IP protocol in the
    : SQL settings manager.
    :
    : ~rlc

Yeah, I believe it would be easy. In your database connection string, just specify the server to the right server name or IP address. Your application will then be able to visit the database as a local database. Make sure that the username and password are correct and the database server allows remote SQL connections. :)

[color=Green][size=1][b]Brad Wang - .NET Freelancer from China
    MSN: brad_wang_cn@hotmail.com