Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Listing connected joysticks...

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
How can I get a list of connected joysticks using VB .NET 2005? I know how to get attached drives, but I am not sure about joysticks. I simply need to get a list of their names and plop into a combobox for now, but will use them for something else later.

While I am on the subject, I also need to figure out how to detect serial ports and modems. The program will support networking via modem or serial cable in the long-run, and I'll need the info.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : How can I get a list of connected joysticks using VB .NET 2005? I
    : know how to get attached drives, but I am not sure about joysticks.
    : I simply need to get a list of their names and plop into a combobox
    : for now, but will use them for something else later.
    :
    : While I am on the subject, I also need to figure out how to detect
    : serial ports and modems. The program will support networking via
    : modem or serial cable in the long-run, and I'll need the info.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/gre
    : en][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h
    : [/red][/b][/italic]

I have figured out how to list serial ports using System.IO.Ports.SerialPorts.GetSerialPorts(), but now I need to figure out how to tell if a modem is on a port. I am not quite sure how to do this, aside from opening the port and sending a few modem query commands, which would waste time and effort. Surely I can access the information in Device Manager to figure out what modems (if any) are on what ports.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : I have figured out how to list serial ports using
    : System.IO.Ports.SerialPorts.GetSerialPorts(), but now I need to
    : figure out how to tell if a modem is on a port. I am not quite sure
    : how to do this, aside from opening the port and sending a few modem
    : query commands, which would waste time and effort. Surely I can
    : access the information in Device Manager to figure out what modems
    : (if any) are on what ports.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

So is it impossible to list connected joysticks using the .NET framework? I have the rest solved, but the only information I found on joysticks was using some Windows 3.11 library known as "winmm.dll", and I'd rather not rely on it as I have read that it is kind of flaky at times.