Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Bitmap in bootloader

kimplingkimpling Member Posts: 2
Hi all, I need to display a little bitmap (max 16x16) within a 16 bit program (a bootloader), someone has an idea on where to store the bitmap and how to display it?

I am currently using int 10 interrupt to display a pixel at a time but it is slow this way

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• BretBret Member Posts: 114
    : Hi all, I need to display a little bitmap (max 16x16) within a 16
    : bit program (a bootloader), someone has an idea on where to store
    : the bitmap and how to display it?
    :
    : I am currently using int 10 interrupt to display a pixel at a time
    : but it is slow this way
    :
    : Any help greatly appreciated

The only other ways I know to do it is to manipulate video memory directly (segment B000h for Monochrome/Hercules, B800h for color text, A000h for graphics), or to use some special functions that may be natively built into the BIOS of your video card. I've never done anything myself except in text mode, so can't help you with graphics mode.
  • kimplingkimpling Member Posts: 2

Hi, I managed to display a bitmap in dos mode, but I used up all the space I had for the bootloader! (512 bytes)

I really need to write a little kernel and insert it into following sectors just before the first partition

I know how to do it but I need a disk image for my tests (I run it on qemu), someone has an idea on how to create such a disk image?
  • jeffleydajeffleyda Member Posts: 390

: I know how to do it but I need a disk image for my tests (I run it
    : on qemu), someone has an idea on how to create such a disk image?
    :

perhaps try bootprog:
    http://alexfru.chat.ru/epm.html
    (near the bottom of the page)

you basically create any program of any size, develop it in DOS, then use this utility to create a boot sector that loads your program up and executes it. It's kind of cheating a true bootloader, but will at least help you quickly develop and debug your main program.

• MT2002MT2002 Member Posts: 1,444
    :
    : Hi, I managed to display a bitmap in dos mode, but I used up all the
    : space I had for the bootloader! (512 bytes)

This is the exact reason why Windows (and others) wait for to display their splash screens during the second stage bootloader.

Also, can I recommend VFD (Virtual Floppy Drive--google for it) to create and manage your disk images? It creates a virtual A or B floppy drive, and can open and create images from it.
    [hr][size=1][leftbr].:EvolutionEngine[rightbr][leftbr].:MicroOS Operating System[rightbr][leftbr][link=http://www.brokenthorn.com]Website :: OS Development Series[rightbr][/link][/size]