Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

learning assembly...

I was thinking to get involved or schooled in assembly language. i have no idea where to start, but it was suggested to start with BASIC. i got this advice from a high level programmer and find it sound, but wanted the advice of assembly programmers on a straight line to high level assembly programming. any help?

Comments

• MT2002MT2002 Member Posts: 1,444

I personally recommend starting with a higher language myself, but not BASIC. It seems alot of BASIC programmers have a very hard time getting into lower level details then with some other languages (C#, Java, C++, etc..)

By "High Level Assembly" do you mean HLA?

If you feel you want to, you can always just give learning assembly a try. Many people has learned assembly as their first language. Just search "Art of Assembly" on google and start reading it :)

Me? I personally would go with this path:

C#,Java, or any other C-like language
    C++;
    Assembly Language

I personally skipped the first step and went straight to C++ first. C++ is not really coinsidered beginner friendly itself though, so its up to you.

[hr][size=1][leftbr].:EvolutionEngine[rightbr][leftbr].:MicroOS Operating System[rightbr][leftbr][link=http://www.brokenthorn.com]Website :: OS Development Series[rightbr][/link][/size]
  • ajtr211ajtr211 Member Posts: 31
    :
    : I personally recommend starting with a higher language myself, but
    : not BASIC. It seems alot of BASIC programmers have a very hard time
    : getting into lower level details then with some other languages (C#,
    : Java, C++, etc..)
    :
    : By "High Level Assembly" do you mean HLA?
    :
    : If you feel you want to, you can always just give learning assembly
    : a try. Many people has learned assembly as their first language.
    : Just search "Art of Assembly" on google and start reading it :)
    :
    : Me? I personally would go with this path:
    :
    : C#,Java, or any other C-like language
    : C++;
    : Assembly Language
    :
    : I personally skipped the first step and went straight to C++ first.
    : C++ is not really coinsidered beginner friendly itself though, so
    : its up to you.
    :
    : [hr][size=1][leftbr].:EvolutionEngine[rightbr][leftbr].:MicroOS
    : Operating
    : System[rightbr][leftbr][link=http://www.brokenthorn.com]Website ::
    : OS Development Series[rightbr][/link][/size]
    :

Hi,
    If you really want to learn Assembly Language Programming
    E-Mail me:atbg10744_2@blueyonder.co.uk

Regards John
  • kazdaxkazdax Member Posts: 16
    : :
    : : I personally recommend starting with a higher language myself, but
    : : not BASIC. It seems alot of BASIC programmers have a very hard time
    : : getting into lower level details then with some other languages (C#,
    : : Java, C++, etc..)
    : : By "High Level Assembly" do you mean HLA?
    : : If you feel you want to, you can always just give learning assembly
    : : a try. Many people has learned assembly as their first language.
    : : Just search "Art of Assembly" on google and start reading it :)
    : : Me? I personally would go with this path:
    : : C#,Java, or any other C-like language
    : : C++;
    : : Assembly Language
    : : I personally skipped the first step and went straight to C++ first.
    : : C++ is not really coinsidered beginner friendly itself though, so
    : : its up to you.
    : : [hr][size=1][leftbr].:EvolutionEngine[rightbr][leftbr].:MicroOS
    : : Operating
    : : System[rightbr][leftbr][link=http://www.brokenthorn.com]Website ::
    : : OS Development Series[rightbr][/link][/size]
    :
    : Hi,
    : If you really want to learn Assembly Language Programming
    : E-Mail me:atbg10744_2@blueyonder.co.uk
    :
    : Regards John

John are you gonna teach for free ?

I dont know what you mean to high level assembly programming .. If you mean HLA ..Then its a bust .. I would say learn the normal Intel Syntax Assembly language .. I dont want to beust myself but i could provide you the book that would be nessecary to learn that particular subject ...

Now dont get me wrong ..but Learning assembly as your first language . Is the right thing to do . I know but its like building a foundation ..you want the Lower levels to be strong and therefore the uper ones can be made to look nice and neat on its own terms ..but if the foundation be weak ..then if you create a real bueatiful looking house .. I might collaps if the Winds be to strong ..

I mean do the ASM .. Plus you need to tell us why you would want to learn ASM ..
    Some of the Reasons people learn ASM are

1) To be able to control every aspect of Hardware
    2) To know how the Computer Works
    3) To be able to write faster apps and your own personal liberaries (Graphic design )
    4) To just learn something hard

I myself personally go with 1 to 3 and 4 maybe

I am just saying it depends on why you want to learn it and i do promise you ..that once you learn ASM and master it ..You will know everything there is to know about any other Language ..

Take care and have fun

• PrattarattPrattaratt Member Posts: 2
    If you are a novice to programming, I would recommend you start with a higher level language such as C/C++/C#/Java (I tend to class all those together, as their syntax is so similar), Pascal/Delphi or the like. BASIC is, well, so-so for learning on. You tend to pick up some bad habits in BASIC; it took me a good while to unlearn them when I graduated to a "real" language. Once you get a sound foundation in whatever language you choose, then you can jump to assembler. However, Assembler language programming today is very uncommon, and is primarily used for fine-tuning a higher level language's output, or Operating System programming. You can write a project in assembler, but in reality, you can do the same job in a third of the time with Higher Level Languages. An understanding of Assembler is most helpful in understanding what goes on inside the computer, and what the compiler does.
    i can teach you ASM for x86 for free ..

• bam390bam390 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I would like some input into learning x86 assembly language on a PC. My question is - How do you write beginning assembly language programs without having to navigate the Windows OS? (a.k.a. Win32 API )?
  • AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    [color=Blue]
    1. Get FASM
    2. FASM has a sample of DOS COM program - simplest code possible in this universe.
    3. Get some DOS tutorials:
    [link=http://homepage.mac.com/randyhyde/webster.cs.ucr.edu/www.artofasm.com/DOS/index.html]http://homepage.mac.com/randyhyde/webster.cs.ucr.edu/www.artofasm.com/DOS/index.html[/link]
    [link=http://www.ctyme.com/intr/int.htm]http://www.ctyme.com/intr/int.htm[/link]
    4. Think of some DOS program you want to write... or clone some game.
    5. Begin coding
    6. You can ask me questions: asmguru62@hotmail.com
    [/color]
  • ajtr211ajtr211 Member Posts: 31
    Hi,
    Answer to question:

YES

Regards John
  • lubkolubko Member Posts: 1
    Hello, how long have you learned assembly? Because I would like to learn it too. You can do everything in assembly, but you must know almost everything.

You can write to to lubko@programmersheaven.com

Thank you