apache alias - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

apache alias

amberdevoamberdevo Posts: 1Member
Glad I found this message board. Have been going round in circles attempting to do the following.

I have 137 php files that work perfectly if they are in the root directory.
I am using a software package that allows me to convert .txt files to html, and incorporate into it all the php files necessary to have the data appear formatted in a web page display (containing all the links of our normal web page display). I then can change the extension from .html to .php and it works perfectly.

This is good I can do this but what I'd like to do is have these files run from four different subfolders under a main folder, with each folder containing a set of files

The main folder is called feeds and under it are four subfolders (where I want to store the php files for easy maintenance, etc. So folder1 would have files that belong to a certain critera, folder2 through folder4 would contain files fitting those criteria.

A user fires up a browser, navigates to a page of "New Items Now Available"
where he can choose between one of the four lists. He is taken to the specific page and can then click a link to lets say "New Items in Practical Nursing".

As mentioned, if I put all the php files in root it works, but when I move them to folder "feeds" and the subdirectories below it containing the files, I no longer get a webpage display.

I have tried all different kinds of syntax setting up an alias in apache but each time I do so nothing works at all. Web pages are not found for anything. So I take it out and everything is back to normal except I can't get my php files in feeds/subfolders to display as a formatted web page with a sidebar, the links to other pages, etc.

Any help would be Greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    One very blunt way is to set up a virtual host (see ) for each folder. Then change part of your main host into a proxy host for your virtual hosts.
    This allows each of your subfolders to become the root folder for one of the virtual hosts, and still only 1 port is necessary.
    If you don't mind opening more than 1 http port, then you could also leave the proxy host away, and have each virtual host respond to one of the opened ports.

Alternatively your could write a cgi/php script, which alters the links in the files, which are stored in the subfolders, to include the subfolder names in the relative links.