DCOM for remote Windows; please help - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

DCOM for remote Windows; please help

BishPBishP Posts: 7Member
Hi all,
This might be a naive question but I am unable to get this thing done.
I have already developed an ActiveX DLL so that I can call its methods from a VB project present on the same machine where I have registered my ActiveX DLL (as a COM component).
Now, I have to communicate between two Windows machines. I know that Distributed COM can serve my purpose. I found a MSDN tutorial and followed it accordingly. The only difference I found between COM and DCOM is that I had to package the client differently such that when I install the client on a machine I have to enter the server IP address.
But what I want is that I have to keep the client code as a section of a larger program (and not as an installation) and I want the server IP address to be kept as a user argument (and not enter it only once).

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Is there any other more effective way using which I can implement a client-server model between two Windows machine?