Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Saving and restoring PictureBox

CitizenOlekCitizenOlek Posts: 53Member
Hello,

I'm writing a Game in VB 2005. The Game Board is displayed in a PictureBox on the Main Form. Occasionally I will display a graphic over a portion of the Game Board, so I need to save the PictureBox (in Memory), so that it can be restored afterwards. I've read a lot of stuff and tried a lot of different code, but still can't get it functioning 100%. Could someone please give me a small sample code that might do the trick. I do not want to give you the code that I've come up with, it doesn't work anyway, because I'm hoping for a new perspective that might solve the problem. Restoring the PictureBox from a File on disk is not an option.

Just to clarify things, here's the logic:
- There is an image (my Game Board) in the PictureBox.
- Save the PictureBox in memory.
- Display a smaller graphic over some portion of the PictureBox.
- Wait for an Event like a Mouse Click.
- Restore The PictureBox from what was saved earlier.

That's it! Can someone help?
And Thank You Kindly.

Comments

• CitizenOlekCitizenOlek Posts: 53Member
    Hello again,

I got tired of waiting for a response so I would like to show some code I developed. I suspect that it was thought that I was too lazy to write the code myself - [b]NOT TRUE[/b]! I just want some help because I'm having problems understanding what is going on! Here is my code, based on a Form 1024 x 768 in size with a PictureBox. You'll need to supply 2 image files, one for the background and one for the DragBox. The code works but I just want someone to check it and make sure I'm not doing something wrong/bad.

[code]Public Class Form1

Dim VirtualBoard As Bitmap
    Dim ExtraBoard As Bitmap
    Dim TerrInfoBox As Bitmap
    Dim Gr As Graphics
    Dim Dragging As Boolean

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

PictureBox1.Image = Image.FromFile("GameBoard.jpg")
    VirtualBoard = PictureBox1.Image
    ExtraBoard = PictureBox1.Image
    TerrInfoBox = Image.FromFile("TInfo.gif")
    Dragging = False

End Sub

Private Sub PictureBox1_MouseDown(ByVal sender As Object, _
    ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) _
    Handles PictureBox1.MouseDown

Dim Gr As Graphics = PictureBox1.CreateGraphics
    Gr.DrawImage(TerrInfoBox, e.X, e.Y, TerrInfoBox.Width, _
    TerrInfoBox.Height)
    Gr.Dispose()
    Dragging = True

End Sub

Private Sub PictureBox1_MouseMove(ByVal sender As Object, _
    Handles PictureBox1.MouseMove

If Dragging Then

VirtualBoard = DirectCast(ExtraBoard.Clone, Bitmap)
    PictureBox1.Image = VirtualBoard
    Dim Gr As Graphics = PictureBox1.CreateGraphics
    Gr.DrawImage(TerrInfoBox, e.X, e.Y, TerrInfoBox.Width, _
    TerrInfoBox.Height)
    Gr.Dispose()

End If
    End Sub

Private Sub PictureBox1_MouseUp(ByVal sender As Object, _
    Handles PictureBox1.MouseUp

VirtualBoard = DirectCast(ExtraBoard.Clone, Bitmap)
    PictureBox1.Image = VirtualBoard
    Dragging = False

End Sub

End Class[/code]
  • CitizenOlekCitizenOlek Posts: 53Member
    I finally found a good explanation of the Graphics Object in a Book called "[b]Start-To-Finish Visual Basic 2005[/b]". (I highly recommend this book.)

"There is always some surface behind the [italic]Graphics[/italic] object, whether it is a portion of the screen, a [italic]Bitmap[/italic] object, or the simulated surface of a printed page. Any drawing that is done to the [italic]Graphics[/italic] object immediately impacts the underlying surface."

Also the book reminds us to always Dispose of our [italic]Graphics[/italic] objects immediately after use.