I only want to learn one... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

I only want to learn one...

shatteredcodeshatteredcode Posts: 3Member
I want to learn PHP, and already know a bit, but I also want to develop desktop applications that a user could run without being connected to the internet. I would love to find a language with similar syntax, concepts, and ideas as PHP. Is there a desktop language I can use, or is there a way to run PHP code on the desktop? Does Adobe Air use PHP?

Thanks.

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I want to learn PHP, and already know a bit, but I also want to
    : develop desktop applications that a user could run without being
    : connected to the internet. I would love to find a language with
    : similar syntax, concepts, and ideas as PHP. Is there a desktop
    : language I can use, or is there a way to run PHP code on the
    : desktop? Does Adobe Air use PHP?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    The only example of a "desktop" PHP application I've seen was a locally running Apache webserver with PHP library plugged in. Since PHP is designed to be a server-side scripting language, the only way to run it locally is to run a server on the client.
  • AgbagbaraAgbagbara Posts: 24Member
    : I want to learn PHP, and already know a bit, but I also want to
    : develop desktop applications that a user could run without being
    : connected to the internet. I would love to find a language with
    : similar syntax, concepts, and ideas as PHP. Is there a desktop
    : language I can use, or is there a way to run PHP code on the
    : desktop? Does Adobe Air use PHP?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    Hi.

there is this extension for writing desktop app, called php-gtk. it based on php so u don't have to learn another language, you can use all the inbuilt functions of php, the only problem is that the gui is horrible, have a look and see, if u are interested in design stunning looking apps this will not be a good idea, u could also try winBinder which is an open source extension for php "winbinder.org" the gui look better.