Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

I only want to learn one...

shatteredcodeshatteredcode Posts: 3Member
I want to learn PHP, and already know a bit, but I also want to develop desktop applications that a user could run without being connected to the internet. I would love to find a language with similar syntax, concepts, and ideas as PHP. Is there a desktop language I can use, or is there a way to run PHP code on the desktop? Does Adobe Air use PHP?

Thanks.

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I want to learn PHP, and already know a bit, but I also want to
    : develop desktop applications that a user could run without being
    : connected to the internet. I would love to find a language with
    : similar syntax, concepts, and ideas as PHP. Is there a desktop
    : language I can use, or is there a way to run PHP code on the
    : desktop? Does Adobe Air use PHP?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    The only example of a "desktop" PHP application I've seen was a locally running Apache webserver with PHP library plugged in. Since PHP is designed to be a server-side scripting language, the only way to run it locally is to run a server on the client.
  • AgbagbaraAgbagbara Posts: 24Member
    : I want to learn PHP, and already know a bit, but I also want to
    : develop desktop applications that a user could run without being
    : connected to the internet. I would love to find a language with
    : similar syntax, concepts, and ideas as PHP. Is there a desktop
    : language I can use, or is there a way to run PHP code on the
    : desktop? Does Adobe Air use PHP?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    Hi.

there is this extension for writing desktop app, called php-gtk. it based on php so u don't have to learn another language, you can use all the inbuilt functions of php, the only problem is that the gui is horrible, have a look and see, if u are interested in design stunning looking apps this will not be a good idea, u could also try winBinder which is an open source extension for php "winbinder.org" the gui look better.