Data changing while reading multiple tables to a disconnected DataSet - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Data changing while reading multiple tables to a disconnected DataSet

charlie-newbiecharlie-newbie Posts: 1Member
I am a newbie when it comes to a concurrency issues for data access. There is a lot of documentation on handling concurrency when updating disconnected data but what about when you are creating a new DataSet and filling it with several tables?

Let's take a simple example. Suppose we have a database which has 2 tables: TblFamily which stores info about each family (e.g. family_id, family_name, etc), and TblMember which holds info about each of the members in each of the families (e.g. person_id, person_name, family_id, etc). No family can have zero members.

We want to retrieve info on a particular family and its members to a disconnected DataSet. From what I've read, most books/articles advocate filling the DataSet table by table. So,

Step 1: read one record from TblFamily to a DataTable in my DataSet. This info includes the family_id.

Step 2: use the family_id to retrieve a subset from TblMember of the members for just that family, filling a second DataTable in the same DataSet.

But now suppose the family and its members are deleted from the database between Step 1 and 2. After Step 2, my DataSet will be inconsistent. I have a family with zero members.

Granted, in this simple example, I could test for such a case. Or perhaps use a join query, which, from what I understand, would be an atomic operation and so preclude the problem from arising ([italic]*Is this true?*[/italic]).

But what about more complicated situations? In general, what are the common approaches to handle/prevent data changing in related tables, while you fill a DataSet?

Can anyone point me to any books/papers/info on this?

Thanks,

Charles.