Text and title limits... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Text and title limits...

Have you gotten rid of those ridiculous message text and title size limits?

That or can you give a decent justification for it. It doesn't stop spam (which isn't much of a problem) and it doesn't require anyone to write something meaningful.

Comments

• The minimum text/title limits are there to help you to write more and to give the post better meaning.

The maximum limits on the title is to prevent the main messageboardlist to extend to two lines and thereby make the messagelist even more unreadable.

But I am open for suggestions on how to deal with this.

What limit is the most annoying?

/WEBMASTER

: Have you gotten rid of those ridiculous message text and title size limits?

:

: That or can you give a decent justification for it. It doesn't stop spam (which isn't much of a problem) and it doesn't require anyone to write something meaningful.

:

:

• I've never actually ran into the maximum title limit, and I can understand the reason for that perfectly. However, I have crossed paths with the minimum title and text limits. The minimum text limit I don't really mind, though certain times you simply have all information in the title, hence the (nt) no text tag.

My main problem is with the limit on brief titles. Sometimes, the title is just concise for effect, or just because it is. A particular instance I had was a title of "Why?". I simply wanted to know the person's reasons, and was not exasperated at all as might be implied by something to the effect of "Why??????" or confused

as might be implied by "...Why?". The body of that message was full if memory serves me correctly.

There is no reason to have a limit on brief titles, because as I stated below it does little to lessen spam, and, more applicably, it doesn't help force more meaningful titles. Most people have meaningful titles, and all replies simply have the "Re:" tag. Typically, replies are meaningful and may have a new title to reflect that. However, when they don't mean to be meaningful, length hardly limits them. While something like "Help!" might not be accepted by the title limits, "Help!!!!!!!" would, with no gain in meaning.

PS Fun as it is, you might consider limiting what tags can be used in a reply. Though, I'll be the first to say NOT to do away with them completely.

: The minimum text/title limits are there to help you to write more and to give the post better meaning.

:

: The maximum limits on the title is to prevent the main messageboardlist to extend to two lines and thereby make the messagelist even more unreadable.

:

: But I am open for suggestions on how to deal with this.

:

: What limit is the most annoying?

:

: /WEBMASTER

:

:

: : Have you gotten rid of those ridiculous message text and title size limits?

: :

: : That or can you give a decent justification for it. It doesn't stop spam (which isn't much of a problem) and it doesn't require anyone to write something meaningful.

:

:

:

• >>PS Fun as it is, you might consider limiting >>what tags can be used in a reply. Though, I'll >>be the first to say NOT to do away with them >>completely.

I think that is a good idea that I will take in consideration!

/WEBMASTER