RTOS porting - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

RTOS porting

its meits me Posts: 1Member
Hi to all,

I'm a newbie to this group and RTOS , I want to know what the Porting means and how to implement my rtos with the application.I have checked with the some sites but coudn't get any snippets. I'm a starter for the RTOS i want to know what are the changes to be made when i try to implement a RTOS for the advanced processor with the RTOS am having ( lower version ).
I'm having the iMX21 RTOS(UCOS-II) and i need to port for iMX27 as the CPU of the both is same ARM 926EJ-S.
I want to know basics to port the RTOS and tests for porting a RTOS.

I have found useful with the UCOS-II book by Jean Labrosse,but i need interms of porting.

Thanking You.
sathish.

Comments

• LaxsLaxs Posts: 3Member
    Hi,

an Operating system has a layer system. there is
    1. application level
    2. middle layer like system call, scheduller, etc
    3. and then the lower level is kernel level, some engineer called as device driver (some C code to make sure your device run ^.^)

Porting it's mean is "make run your operating system to different Platform".
    different platform it's mean:
    1. different processor
    2. different memory size
    3. different IO system
    4. etc

lets make simple example:
    you has an operating system to handle IO routine, system scheduler, task handling, etc... and you has develop your OS on the 8051 platform.

and then you has plan to make run motorola processor... then you must change your current code (previosly writen for 8051).
    you must change your low level function and adjust it for motorola processor, like your interrupt handler, write / read to memory, send/receive data, etc....... yes you has modify kernel... but not all kernel code you must change... just low level function.

you must wtiten your operating system kernel in C. if you has write it on Assembly... you totaly dead ^.^... because Assembly is specific languange..
    it's not portable like C

Hope it will help you