Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Perl 5.10

siadnasiadna Posts: 4Member
Hi,

I have been hearing rumours about Perl 5.10 being released sometime this month. Is this true? I didn't find anything on the official Perl website.

James

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    Hi,

Rafael (the lead developer of 5.10 and guy who will be doing the release) put out a first release candidate late November (amusingly, he did it live on stage at a conference - I was there watching!) There's been at least an RC2 after a couple of issues came up in the first candidate, but it's pretty much there.

December 18th is the 20th birthday of Perl (20 years to the day the very first version of Perl, Perl 1.000, was released), and last I heard his plan is to make the release on this day. So those attending a Perl birthday party (I'm pondering it, even though it's a 4-5 hour journey to my nearest one!) will probably have two reasons to celebrate. :-)

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
  • siadnasiadna Posts: 4Member
    And so it came to pass! :)
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    Yes! Awesome work by the Perl 5 team. :-)

Also, I did the December release of the in-progress Parrot VM and the Perl 6 compiler being developed on top of it on that day too:

http://www.parrotcode.org/news/2007/Parrot-0.5.1.html

This release also contains my first contributions to the Perl 6 compiler too (though not Parrot, which I've been hacking on for ages).

I think we should release Perl 6 Alpha 1 on April 1st, so nobody will actually believe it's happened...until they go and see they can download it. Well, maybe we're ready for an Alpha then, who knows. Hack hack hack...

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");